Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Keeping your voice strong for long gigs

Hey everyone,

My apologies in advance if this has been asked before or if it's in the wrong category.

I play in a duo with my dad, and we're about to embark on our biggest gig yet. We were lucky enough to be invited to play at the Miami international boat show from February 16th to 21st, 12-6pm each day. I'm beyond thrilled to have the opportunity to do this, but I'm just a little nervous about keeping my voice strong throughout the entire gig. Typically, dad and I play 3 hour shows with no breaks. We do lots of songs together, and we've got solo ones in this mix where he'll do one, I'll do one, back and forth like that. Sometimes, at the end of those 3 hour shows, my voice will be feeling pretty tired, maybe it will even have started breaking towards the end of the night (I don't feel fatigued, but I'll go for a note and it just isn't there) when this happens I just resort to playing songs that don't take much effort or have many high notes in them. My question, to make an already long story a bit shorter, is this -- How can I keep my voice from getting fatigued and weak for 5 days of singing 4 and a half to 6 hours a day?

Thanks so much for reading my long-winded question, I appreciate any feedback. I'm still on Volume One of the program, I do the warmups before everyone of our live gigs. I try to do them lightly, I haven't erased the vocal break yet, but I go into falsetto in the warmups rather than power through on chest, just to conserve voice for the gigs. Thanks again!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited February 2017
    @Camelor,

It just takes more time than you have to build your voice to a point where you'll really have more stamina. That's not going to happen in just 3 or 4 days. When you get to Volume 3, you'll have some instruction on cutting back the air, but even that takes a while to get the hang of it.

The best instant advice I can give is Don't Oversing. Have some sort of really good monitoring system set up if you can, so that you can sing more lightly. If you have to sing loud in order to be heard, that's going to wear your voice out.

Pace yourself. Alternating with your Dad is a great idea. You're just going to have to preserve your voice.

No need for workouts on these long gig days. Do a short, light warmup on lip burbles and the tongue exercise, and then save the rest for the 6 hour performances.
  • CamelorCamelor Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 12
    Thanks a lot, Bob. I really appreciate your advice. One day I'll complete volume 3! I'll absolutely pace myself and try to avoid over singing. Thanks again, I'm so grateful I can turn to the forum when I need some guidance.