Hey Dudes and Divas!

Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forum, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA forum - the rest of the forum is hidden from view.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Can I uses socks as a pop filter, does it work?

Can I uses socks as a pop filter, does it work?
I am doing a test, and also a test on up close and far back, as well. What sounds better with this cad u37?
Yes, I a going to buy a better mic in about a month.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=RU_cRIBgD_g

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 9,916Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    If you don't get any breath pops, you can record without a filter. If you are getting pops, a sock might work, but we used to try that when I was a kid, and it seems like it muffled the sound of the mic a little.

The kind that is a hoop with some nylon across it works fine, and doesn't cost too much, like the one in that video you posted yesterday.

Even expensive foam filters can slightly muffle the sound on a mic. So the nylon hoop ones are more transparent to the sound.

If you go the sock route, you might do a "sock sound check" and try different socks, while making P's, B's, D's and G's into the mic. Those make the pops. If it helps with the pops and doesn't sound muffled, then you're good to go.
  • This might sound crazy, but after doing a bit of work in a studio, I noticed that the pop filter looked like nylon... I jury-rigged a coat-hanger filter housing and confiscated one of my mother's old nylons (washed of course :wink: ), and it did the job really well without making it all muffled
  • donnabrightdonnabright Posts: 103Pro
    edited February 25 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thank you. I know what pop filter to buy now. Thanks for all your help.
    I am going to buy a new mic, speakers, and head phones, soon, so that should help.