Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Me trying to sing somebody to love

What do you guys think? Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you !

@highmtn @streeter

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You left out the G#5 that Ken puts on the end there, as it goes into the guitar solo... Just giving you a hard time. :^)

Not bad. It sounds like you might need to cut back some of the weight/girth to make it a little easier. You are brave. Most people would rather be beaten than to have a bare-vocal track of a song as hard as this to be heard by all.

Do you have a version with the backing tracks?
  • vmalheirosvmalheiros Pro Posts: 105
    edited March 2017
    Thank you very much, @highmtn
    I did leave the G#5, which sounded awesome in Ken's version, out, because my head voice sounds really weak and airy. Before I started KTVA I was really shy and didn't really sing to others. But I feel like it's much better to show yourself to others, so people can tell you what they do and what they dont like about what you do. Then you use that information to try and eliminate your weaknesses. The downside is, you may encounter negative criticism and you'll have to deal with it. I'm pretty good at taking criticism so I don't mind. I still haven't synced this track with the instrumental song, but when I do, I'll link it here.

------------------------------------------------------

I love Freddie's vocals. So many inspiring songs. But one thing I find very odd is that he never sang live the way he sang in the studio. Take this song for instance, Somebody to Love. There is NO live version of this song on youtube, in which Freddie sings all the high notes (A#s). Much like what Robert Plant did back in the day.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Yes, I saw Freddie live, and I saw Plant several times. Neither one was capable of singing those highest notes on their albums in the live performances that I saw. They were both very good, especially Freddie, but their voices weren't up to the heavily overdubbed studio creations that were done, often recorded one line at a time, with multiple tracks.
  • vmalheirosvmalheiros Pro Posts: 105
    edited March 2017
    @highmtn
    I wish I had had the opportunity to see such historic bands perform live. You're lucky!! Hey Bob, I know you have lots of more important stuff to answer, but I was wondering if you could a help me understand something. Have you seen the video of How Can I Go On by Freddie Mercury with that soprano woman? You probably have. In that video Freddie hits some extremely high notes, a B4, a C5, and if I'm not mistaken a D5, in what seems to be chest voice. What I'm not certain about is if that is a live performance or lip syncing? because even though there is a huge crowd in the video, he doesn't seem to put a lot of effort into hitting those notes, which makes me believe it's lip syncing. Also, I don't see any mics around. Would you know if that's the case? Thank you very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akdAvg8SO1A

just in case you haven't seen it.

Your video was blocked by YouTube, but I watched it on another version of the same performance (I think). It's hard to say. They're playing in an outdoor venue, so I would think they're wearing wireless mics. It would be easy to put one in Freddies bowtie that would pick him up well.

It doesn't look like he's straining at all, and I don't even see his larynx moving, but that doesn't prove anything. He certainly could be singing that and appearing effortless, if they had good monitoring. Sometimes in musicals and other live events, they DO have dummy mics on the performers, and they listen to a click track on in-ear monitors, and mime the performance. There isn't enough information for me to make a judgements one way or another on this. It's very well done. It does sound very clean, and not as if they're moving around on stage. An omnidirectional mic works well in situations like this, regardless of which direction you may be facing, relative to the mic.

The technology to produce performances this good (if you have the right equipment and the right engineers and producers to capture it) does exist, and was around back when Freddie was still with us.

I don't see anything that makes me say it's faked or lip-synced.