Hey Dudes and Divas!

Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forum, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA forum - the rest of the forum is hidden from view.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Me singing Dokken, what ya think? Ya I know I am bold to post this. lol

Me singing Dokken, what ya think? Yes, I am still singing LAH and breaking that down, and working on pitch as well, and breath support, so I do those things to. Here is me singing Dokken: Alone Again!
https://youtu.be/K1xMSTEmGH8

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 9,923Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    You've improved a lot since your last demo. You still have a lot of work ahead of you, but you are definitely getting better. Your vibrato is getting more under control and not throwing you off-pitch like before. Some of the notes are still a little high for you, but at times, you're right on the money. That wasn't happening before. This song is a good one for you to work on, because it's pretty close to where your range presently is.

Last time you wrote here, you mentioned that you had let the pitch training program lapse from the free trial. I think you should keep working with that, because it helped you a lot.

Your voice in general is getting stronger and truer.

Your support needs to improve in consistency, and it sounds like you need to open up your jaw and mouth more. I'm hearing a lot of sound going in your nasopahynx that should be coming out in more of an Open Throat, out the mouth way. You do want part of the sound to go into the nasal area, but only a bit. It should be more of a blend of mouth with some mask added, but only a little bit.

So good job on your improvements.

Bob
  • Love your song choice and the enthusiasm for it I can hear in your singing.

It def sounds like everything is tight and closed down. I know for myself just yawning into the sound and opening my mouth wider made a HUGE difference.
    This most recent tune is your best yet. You're keeping your throat open a lot better, not nearly as clamped-down. Good job on the improvements. Not perfect, but amazingly better. You still have a few notes on this song that start out a little off-center, but you find them pretty quickly and recover. Totally better than when you started out here.

You should be proud of yourself for the work and improvements. Sounds like you're opening your jaw and mouth better, and also letting the sound more out of your mouth, rather than having so much come through the nasal passage. Good job.
  • Thank you. Yes, I do feel I am improving a but, myself.

I did want to mention that when I sing the Lah exercises and then stop and do it myself, after hearing Ken, and when I try to sing LAH. Well it sounds sounds like something is getting choked off, or not flowing right in my voice, hard to explain. You would have to hear it, to see what I mean, something seems wrong with my voice. And I sound way off. Do I just keep practicing, until i get better?

I will get the sing and see back, soon!

I just took a few sales and worked on it. maybe I am not doing the vowel mod right. I know about Loft and so on, but not sure I am doing that correct, Do you need to hear that? Or do i just keep practicing?

When you say support, you mean breath support, how do I stay consistant with it? I am breathing. As far as my jaw is tight. I open as much as I can, but my mouth never does open that wide, even the dentist has a hard time getting me to open my mouth, How do I work with loosing the jaw?
    Tina
    It's hard to say, tina, because all of your videos have you from the neck down, so I hear what I think you're doing but I can't see it. I know a lot of people just don't want to have their faces in the picture, so I understand, but you are doing something that is occluding your vocal tract. It's one of several possibilities. Tongue in the way, throat not open enough, jaw not open enough, etc. Sounds to me like you're clamping down in the back of the throat, but I can only guess without seeing. And you're doing it as you sing. In other words, the first two notes of the scale are OK, then as it gets higher, you wobble (breath support) AND you close down the vocal tract.

Once you get that figured out, you'll be able to relax more and let the notes out without tensing up and clamming up whatever it is that you're doing when that happens.

Bottom line, you're not maintaining an open vocal tract, whatever the cause is. We just need to identify it so that you can fix it.

Yes, a lot of people have small mouths, or whatever their own individual differences are. So you figure out what's going on and what is the best thing to do to normalize the voice and the breath and the vocal tract and to balance the airflow between the nose and the mouth, and presto! You sound better, and keep working on it.
  • Thanks KaiEllis. I have been trying to yawn and open my mouth more. Thanks for the feedback! :smile:
    Also. Here is another song I did, it might be better than than dokken song, not sure, but what do you think?
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=RCUJoOfWSRo
  • donnabrightdonnabright Posts: 103Pro
    edited April 4 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I do not know if this is normal but since I was trying to really open my throat to sing the back of my throat hurts. Is that normal at first, until I get used to it? (I was really trying to sing using my mouth. I might of pushed the sound too hard or something..I wonder if I strained something in my vocal chords)I want to sing but my throat is a sore. I am not used to using certain muscles in my voice. I am not sure what did it. But on the other hand could be allergies, which I have to take meds for.

Also how do I get rid of this sore throat? Do I breath in some steam? I have been doing lip trills and vocal frys as well. I don't think is a cold, but could be. I know it has been suggested a hot shower and I am so going there. I will let ya know if that helped any!
    Either way my throat hurts majorly. Should I sing with a sore throat?

Thanks for the nice compliment on the song I sang. I know it will get better with time, the more in tune I get and get the nasal out of my nose, and stop the wobbling voice, and get more in tune.

Well I will try to sing a little today, but I am going to have to take it slow, and prob not sing so many songs. Well at least get some vocalization in at least.
    edited April 5 Vote Up0Vote Down
    You should normally try to "sing through" sore throats and illnesses, unless you have strep throat, laryngitis, a bronchial infection or something like that that requires you to have vocal rest.

That said, don't sing loudly while you are feeling the soreness. Sing lightly until you recover and feel better. If you "baby" your voice and just stop singing every time you feel a little bit ill, your voice will take longer to recover. If you sing through and just don't force anything, your voice will realize that its expected to keep working and improving.

The fact that you may have been singing with an open throat for the first time ever may have caused you to get these feelings of being stretched-out. You DO want to have the feeling of a yawn when you sing, and your throat will adapt to that. Don't force it, but do open it up, as well as the jaw and mouth.

Don't OVER-do these things, but DO find that good, comfortable way to keep your vocal tract as open as you comfortably can. It will become your new "normal" and your new, better voice will also become your new normal.