Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

How to release tension from the throat/neck while singing higher register?

Hey guys I'm new around here. Right off the bat this is something I feel like I could use some insight on. Through the duration of my vocal practices/sessions as I sing songs there is a tension that builds in the muscles around my throat and neck. My throat and vocal chords have never hurt when this has occurred but it makes it difficult to hit higher notes and it feels like I plateau for the rest of the practice. This happens regardless of whether I warm up or not. So my ultimate question is how have you guys gone about releasing this tension? (I sing aggressive music btw)

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hi, Jacob.

The notes have to kind of shrink as you go higher with them. You're singing on a smaller and smaller section of vocal cords as you go higher up the scale. You will hit a limit where you can go no higher, that's true of everyone. You can train to go considerably higher than you may be able to go now, but that's an overall program of training from stem to stern, including breath management, vowel modifications, and practice.

Bob