Home Vocal Health and Wellness

A question about acid reflux's effect on the voice...

I have some acid reflux, according to my doctor.
I don't have heartburn, but I think when I use my support - it pushes some acid onto the cords or something.
Is it possible acid is responsible for loss of notes or hoarseness??

Thanks.

Comments

• MatsyMatsy Pro Posts: 168
    Yes, acid reflux can damage your vocal cords, so you want to get that sorted out as quickly as possible.

Assuming that all other aspects of your singing technique are correct then the acid reflux is a possible cause of your hoarseness. However your hoarseness could have many contributing factors due to poor singing technique.
  • stanstan Pro Posts: 91
    Thanks, Matsy.

I think my technique is fine, but I do feel this "burn'" feeling in my mouth when I sing. It doesn't hurt... It just feels like I just drank hot ginger ale or something. Your mouth feels those little "ripples" and stuff... I just think it's the acid.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    That acid can erode your throat or your cords. You do want to get the reflux in check. When you support, you should be pushing downwards. That should not push acid upwards.
    Right, but I thought pushing downwards can still send the acid up into the throat
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Perhaps it can, but I can't say that it's ever happened to me, and I push down all the time, to varying degrees when I sing. Probably people with acid reflux have to be more careful about that.
    Yeah, I think I need to see an ENT.
    I feel like I have a case of laryngitis coming in right now. :-/
  • MatsyMatsy Pro Posts: 168
    I just wanted to revisit this as I was just reading something interesting...

Apparently, for many people acid re-flux can be caused by having not enough acid in the stomach and apparently apple cider vinegar can help with that...