Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Vibrato

DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
I am inspired by Freddie Mercury so the questions will keep coming. How does he have such a fast vibrato. For example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04854XqcfCY Minute 0:38 he gets a pretty fast vibrato. I'm sure there is some kind of technique. But I heard he used a technique called subharmonics? Is this true? Is it safe for me to learn that?

Comments

• DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    And 1:10 as well. Is that controlled vibrato? Or natural?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    It's a learned vibrato. A fast vibrato needs to be very light, or the voice will wobble or sound like a goat or lamb. It's called "caprino" or "goat's wiggle" if the vibrato is very fast and tremulus. You can get away with it if the depth of the vibrato is very light.

For some vocalists, the fast vibrato is what seems natural for them. Stevie Nicks has made millions with her fast and choppy vibrato. That doesn't really work for most vocalists, but it worked like a charm for Stevie Nicks, and Freddie owned his light-but-fast vibrato.

Doing vibrato that fast isn't so hard, but making a fast vibrato sound good can be very tricky. Doing it lightly enough to sound subtle is the hard part.
  • EldiabloramonEldiabloramon Member Posts: 21
    i have a question about vibrato too, i noticed that i have a lot of vibrato when i sing, and i don't think it sounds very good. how do i get rid of it?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Practice singing straight tones. Vibrato becomes habitual, and so you can replace it with a better habit, and that would be either lighter vibrato or straight tones.