Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Rainbow Man on the silver mountain

Hello

My band is gonna play this in summer. I just recorded some vocals over a karaoke track.
Do you think it works or skip this song?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 11,665Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Your voice is only about half as loud in the mix as it needs to be in order to really hear your voice. What I can hear on this tune sounds more suited to your voice than some of your other demos.
  • Swedishguy26Swedishguy26 Posts: 30Member
    Ok i tried to mix it in audacity.
    But did it sound good the voice?
    It's buried in the mix too low to give much of an evaluation. Vocal evaluations require a prominent level of the vocal in the music.
    I did a better cover yesterday
    You are having trouble sustaining notes. In other words, you cut the notes off a little early, sounding like you don't have enough breath to complete the notes. Many of the notes are a little flat, like the notes are too high for you, or you aren't aware that you're a bit too low for the notes to be in tune. You're close. You need to train a bit to get these notes into a more comfortable reach for you,so you can sustain the notes and hit the pitches square-in-the-middle, so you won't sound flat. You need to build a lot of breath support to be able to sing songs like this well, yet not have to blast them out.

At the very end, your Man on the Silver Mountain's are right on the money. You need that kind of consistency throughout the song.

Thanks for bringing your voice up to the level where it can be heard better.

All the Best!

Bob
    I tried to practice a little today. I tried to open up more in the throat and the vowels to make it sound less strained and more full.
    Some notes may be flat.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0n7iwRTa8BT
    This is better. The vocal volume is still about half as loud as it should be in order to give you feedback on your voice.

You're sustaining notes better on this version, but still a little less sustained than some of them should be.

The C's on Sil- and the Bb's on -ver are a little flat. Sometimes the G's on "man" are a little inconsistent and unsupported.

Then at the end, the D's above the C's are fine. You can still open up in the throat a little more.
    Ok so it sounded good?
    I can't hear you through the music well enough to say that. Your voice is buried in the mix.
    Ok but you did hear my voice on the chorus?
    Ok here i raised the volume up on the vocals a bit.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0oh00bLYpx8

Does it sound good? Because i am having a performance as a singer for a new metal/rockband and i want it all to sound good.
    This song is too high for your voice at its present level of development. You could probably train your voice to sound much better on this song, but it would take a while. It's going up to D5, and you're struggling, even on the G4's.

Like I mentioned when I said you need to sustain the notes, you are kind of punching your voice, yelling to get up to the G4. If you work your voice and stretch your chest voice, using a lot of support, you can get to a point where you can sustain those notes without sounding like you're punching to try to reach them. Going up to the A4, Bb4, C5, and D5 and not sounding strained is something that you're not in shape for yet.

You have potential in your voice. But you need to develop that potential to be able to deliver on songs like this. That's going to take some work.

All the Best!

Bob
    Ok we did a show with the band and we played this song and it didnt go so well.