Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Singing Too Low?

Since I've been working with Ken's method, I can sing lower better, which I like. But when I practice low notes, Maybe around E2, or sing along with some Josh Turner, my speaking voice suddenly gets lower and rougher, as if I've been straining my voice. The high notes still sound the same. So I want to know if I'm actually training the chords, or just kind of thrashing them to get down to those notes. Does anyone have experience with that?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    If your notes you are singing are clear and untrashed, then you are not trashing your voice to sing low. You may be prone to dropping your speaking voice when you get your voice "set" to sing low. So you may need to pay a little more attention to how you are speaking after warming up to sing low.

Do make sure you are not oversinging low. And make sure you aren't speaking in a louder voice, as well, after warming up by singing.

You don't want to sing with your voice so low that the notes start to break up.

When singing as low as you can go in head voice, you also have to be careful to not "bottom out" the voice at its lowest notes. That isn't good for the cords to let it trash out by going lower than the voice can properly phonate.
  • DixonZDixonZ Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 3
    Thanks highmtn. I find that much of Ken's advise for singing high notes with vowel modifications and controlling consonants also applies to the bottom of my range. If you have listened to any Josh Turner, what do you notice about the way he transitions from his low notes up to a more normal range?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited May 2017
    I would have to listen to Josh Turner, maybe on a specific tune, to give you some feedback on that. Can you give me a url and maybe some time coordinates,like on a YouTube video, and maybe I can give you some insight on that.