Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Journey open arms

Very hard song to sing. I am planning to sing this to an audience or a beautiful girl this summer. But it is a fun song to practice to. I am still learning it but i recorded it today. Any thoughts?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0uriwGRpxUF

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 10,424Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    This is a very hard song to sing. Your voice is buried so deep in the mix that it can't be heard much at all. I hear you straining for some of the notes, but it's so far beneath the instruments that that is about all I can make out.
  • I tried to record it today and raising the volume http://vocaroo.com/i/s0h7TwVBjAai
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 10,424Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Hi, @Swedishguy26 !

Your voice is still buried too deeply in the mix. Thanks for trying to bring the voice up, but when the instruments come in, you're almost inaudible. I can barely hear your voice, and I have very acute hearing.

One bit of advice I would like to give you is to reduce the consonants and sustain your vowels longer.

You kind of shout out notes that would be better if you would sing them on sustained vowels. An example of this would be, going into the chorus, you kind of shout each word: SO! NOW! I! COME! TO! YOU! WITH! O! PEN! ARMS!

They're very abrupt notes the way you're approaching it. If you want to sing it more like Steve Perry, you'll barely use any consonants, and you'll sing the vowels more contiguously, like
    sO-nowAh-ee C-ahm t-ahyahooooo- weth-Oh-peh-nahms...
    All linked together, sustained, no gaps between, no bursts of shouts, only sonorous, sustained, smooth notes.

You have to grow your chest voice and your head voice quite a bit in order to be able to smoothly sing notes like this, rather than shout them.

All the Best!

Bob
  • Aw man. Gotta get your voice farther forward in the mix! I can hear you clear enough in the first couple of lines, so I can tell you that your voice has DEFINITELY got potential, but pretty quickly it gets drowned out by the music.

One tip for getting your vocals farther forward in the mix if you happen to be using Audacity to mix it -

Under the Effects tab, there's an option called Amplify. You can do two things with Amplify - increase the volume of a track, or decrease the volume of a track.

Use this to do two things.

One, amplify the volume of your vocal track. When you click amplify, Audacity will automatically amplify the track as high as it can without clipping the highest or lowest volumes in the track.

Two, DECREASE the volume of the music track. You can typically take it down to -20 and both still be able to hear the music track for reference AND hear your vocals muuuuuuuch more clearly.

Can't wait to hear more!
  • Ok man i tried to do another take and raised the volume in reaper.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0rdObKyD7bU
  • @Swedishguy26 Much easier to hear You!

I can hear that you've got a good voice and that with some good technique and strength training this could be a song in your repertoire. Just be realistic with yourself about the amount of time that's probably going to take. This song is a MONSTER to sing and even Mariah Carey couldn't get it quite right. If this is a song you care about, I SUPER suggest doing the training and putting in the time that would be necessary to sing this well. That probably also means leaving this song alone for a little while and working on some songs that are within your range and allow you to strength train in ways that will BUILD to this song.

Just as an analogy - trying to sing this song without the right training is like those guys in the gym who are just wildly throwing weights around with AWFUL form just because they don't want to start at a lower weight. It always looks ridiculous, and the irony is, training that way means they'll never actually get strong enough to lift that amount of weight properly.

But I also have to say - choosing this song is ambitious, and I admire that! :smile: