Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Tongue questions

ulrichulrich Posts: 53Enrolled
edited August 2012 in Ken Tamplin's Corner
Ken,

I've been watching videos of you over and over. I noticed that you tend to stick your tongue out a bit, especially when belting high note stuff. Does that "forward-moving" of the tongue help you to keep the throat open? I am right now in the middle of applying the open throat-feel with my repertoire. Very often I will have no problem doing higher phrases on an AHH vowel but when I sing the lyrics I feel like I'm swalloing a frog ;)

I try to keep the tongue down, but for example on a phrase like "the night isn't over" it seems impossible (A below tenor C on "night") Should I modify the vowels?

On a side note, my neck seems to swell and ateries pop out when I sing high in chest. It doesn't hurt tough. Is that still a sign I'm overpowering?

Thanks for the insights,

Ulrich

Comments

• KokonuhtKokonuht Posts: 658Member, Enrolled
    It could be a sign that tension is building up. Also, the sticking out tongue thing is an advanced open throat technique. For now, try mastering the curved tongue. I think some time in the future Ken will talk about the "lizard tongue".

"The night isn't over"
    The = T (uh)
    Night = N (ah) (ee) t
    Isn't = (ee) s (uh) nt
    Over = (oh) v (uh) r

Now try to trace back which base vowel these vowels come from and start with that vowel then immediately change to the desired vowel sound.

Eg: "The" T (uh). Which is like look (luhk). So you do it "LAH -> LUH K". However this is supposed to be done pretty quick that people can't tell you're singing LAH first ;). Takes time to practice the agility in getting into those vowel sounds!