Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

How would high singing sound if done by a bass voice type?

KevinGremKevinGrem Posts: 113Pro
edited June 23 in Off Topic
Alright, so I understand that bass voices are relatively rare. The most common male voice type is a baritone, and less common is a tenor. If a baritone trains his chest register to be able to sing higher, it sounds really awesome. What would it sound like if a bass were to train this way? Has this ever been tried?

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Maybe the most common male voice type is baritone, but most males I talk to are well able to sing in the tenor range if they trained themselves. In my opinion, most men are high baritones or low tenors. Actual baritones are quite rare, I think. This is a subject over which there is a lot of debate.

There's very little doubt in my mind that a music-savvy, dedicated true bass can train himself to sing higher, well into the tenor range. There was a basso profundo on the forums last year, I think. He demonstrated his range up to F#5. It was very sonorous and quite cool. So yes, it has been done.
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 10,701Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    I think it would be similar to playing the high strings way up the fretboard on a bass guitar. There is still a certain "size" to the thickness of the cords and the size of the neck of the bass. But there are high notes up there.