Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Is coffee bad for us as singers?

XHellChrisXHellChris Posts: 16Pro
Sometimes after I finish a cup of coffee, my throat starts producing phlegm and makes it harder for me to sing. Is it better to avoid coffee as a singer?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 11,525Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Yes. Coffee is a diuretic, which means the more you drink, the dryer your body becomes. You want to remain hydrated.
  • bentkbentk Posts: 435Pro
    For me it doesn't seem to matter much if i have 1 cup of coffee if you remain hydrated. But don't drink several cups throughout a performance or workout. I actually rarely drink coffee during workouts, and never when rehearsing.

I think some warm things like tea are very nice. What do you think about tea and warmer beverages @highmtn ?

What i do avoid are sugary drinks. I think it is better to just eat well and healthy, rest for 30 minutes at least and then get into your workouts.
    I try to limit myself to no more than one pot of coffee per day.
  • blondiewalesblondiewales Posts: 196Pro
    Theoretically and practically: yes coffee is bad for singers.

However, on days of an important recording or performance, I like to drink coffee several hours before and skip it entirely on the day before. That was I get the energy boost while my body has many hours to re-hydrate. This is just a personal thing, though. It may not work for everyone.
    Coffee, like any other diuretic isn't good for your singing... But I drink it and still manage to squawk through a lot of gigs.

I ran across this article today for anyone feeling guilty about drinking coffee, or feeling superior over those who do: http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/10/health/coffee-leads-to-longer-life-studies-reaffirm/index.html