Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

is this safe to do??

Hi KTVA!
@highmtn

Bob my friend, Can i do this or am i gonna hurt myself ?
Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Huy_7xq92GM

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Too much weight, Jaffer. You need to thin this down. It's a bit flat all the way through, and to get it up to correct pitch, you won't get there unless you can pare off some more of the weight. I know you ask a lot about mask, and that you are aware that too much mask, or all mask will limit you. BUT a thread of mask will help this, much like the thin thread of mask, with a thin thread of chest will be more of the proper tone for this.

Yes, you will hurt yourself if you don't thin this out and get it up to pitch with a fine, thinner sound. This will take lots of breath resistance by pushing down on the diaphragm with a lot of strength.

Also, I meant to mention this to you earlier, on your videos where the phone is down low (floor, table, whatever...) you are bending your neck down to face the camera. Find someplace level so you can keep your vocal tract straight. It's harder to sing with your face pointing low.

You pick tough songs to tackle!

;-)

Bob
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited July 2017
    There are pairs of muscles in the larynx, including the posterior and lateral crico-arytenoids, the thyroarytenoids and the transverse arytenoid. Google "larynx" or muscles of the larynx. There are lots of diagrams and photos showing all of the cartilages and muscles of the larynx.

The Volume 3 workouts will strengthen your arytenoids. Some of the laryngeal muscles tension the cords. Some tilt the cricoid cartilage relative to the thyroid cartilage and in turn adjust cord tension.

You can't really isolate the individual muscles of the larynx to do "push-ups" with them, but Ken's workouts will build them up.