Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Singing hour? Off the note singing

Hi there. I m a beginner singer, so is working with chords, warm up plus singing, 2 hours of that is too much or ok? And i sing off tge note, i just can t produce that sound, i did that before. Is lip rolls 30 mins and humming 15 mins ok? Any exercise for pitch accuracy?
Peace

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    As long as you aren't singing too loudly, 2 hours is fine. We encourage you to do at least an hour per day. Not too much air in the sound, though. Air will dry out your voice. So try to cut that back. Pitch accuracy, you just need to really listen to the sound you are trying to match (guitar, piano, etc) and use active listening to hear your voice and compare to that reference sound AS you are singing. If you're lost, then you need to slow things down, and go one note at a time. A piano or some instrument might help. There are also phone apps you can get that can help you with pitch, as well as computer programs.

If you can't do it by ear, then you kind of need some help to get you started seeing and hearing how close or how far off the pitch you actually are. Then you can start taking steps at getting closer.

If you have two hours per day to spend and you have pitch issues, I would recommend you spend at least an hour per day trying to do pitch matching, to train your ear, brain, and voice to work together better. Start out slow and take your time.
  • MmkMmk Member Posts: 22
    What I meant by pitch problem is that I used to have voice like Ozzy Osborne, maurice white, chris Cornell and other vocalists I can t remember, but now I can t sound like them. It was in my voice spectrum. So any exercise to get that pitch back? I heard that our chord muscles r tensed when we sing in other singer s pitch. Does it mean that no one shall copy cat a song? Why Anthony Vincent do or I am wrong? I need a breathing exercise too and a cool down. Lip rolls and gentle humming work for cool down? Is it ok to do lip rolls ahead of my high range, as we go high those lip rolls become low in volume and less lip movement. I do lip roll as low in volume n movement as I can. Is it ok or harmful? Peace be unto u
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Low volume lip rolls are fine, and they will become a tiny sound they higher you go. Plenty of people copy other singers. There is nothing harmful about that unless you don't have the range of the singer and you try to sing higher than you are able.

Lip rolls and humming are fine for a cool-down.
    As I am a beginner, I don't like to sing coz I sound so weak. Should I do humming for a hour? Any other exercise for strong
    There are exercises on Ken's YouTube channel that you can sing along to. Just do a search on Ken Tamplin Vocal exercises.
    I do vocal workout for one hour daily. How many days shall i not do it in a week?
    Take one or two days per week off. Sing five or six days per week, one hour per day minimum, unless your voice gets tired, sore, or hoarse. If you get hoarse, you are doing something wrong and need to figure out what that is and correct it.
    I had not began yet using my upper register coz of mucous or phlegm, i have little littttlleee of it. So how u deal with it? Another reason is activating head voice, to activate head voice i need to do lip rolls for 30 mins, then leas time is left for other exercises. Is there any short cut to activate head voice? Peace
    Doing the lip rolls should help teach you how to get into head voice. Once you learn how to get into head voice you should be able to do it as soon as you start singing, after a brief warm up.