Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Trouble hitting high notes

Wanted to see if I could get some suggestions for hitting notes that are at the top of my range. Here's an example of what I'm struggling with: https://clyp.it/2e0dhb4p

Not that the rest of it is great, I know my pitch is off in a number of places, but it's really bad when I'm nearing the high notes, especially that chorus where things take a terrible turn. When I push my voice to get up there, it strains my throat to the point where I'm worried I'm messing up my vocal chords.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You just need to build your support to be stronger, and push down more on your diaphragm for those higher notes. You actually have a decent-sounding voice, and more support will help you to zero in on your pitch a little better, as well.
  • tonedeaftonedeaf Pro Posts: 5
    Thanks highmtn, appreciate the encouragement. I feel like I'm missing some major epiphany when it comes to the whole diaphragm component of singing. I have done the exercises in volume 1 but I haven't yet experienced the major difference that everyone always talks about with respect to using your diaphragm. I'll keep at it, hopefully it will click soon.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You'll know it when you have your "aha" moment. Keep trying. Read some of the many posts in the Diaphragmatic Breathing and Support area of the forums.

You may find your aha moment there.
  • tonedeaftonedeaf Pro Posts: 5
    That did help quite a bit. Still some pitch problems and trouble spots for sure, but the chorus high note is sounding a lot better: https://clyp.it/ivtqq0v2
    Yes, I would say that your second take on this same clip sounds about a thousand percent better. You have much greater consistency in the breath. Your pitch wanders much less when you have better control and regulation over your breath.

This is a textbook example of support: Before and After.

Can you believe that there are idiots out there saying that support is B.S. or "you already know how to breathe".

Anybody can hear the difference.

Good job. Remarkable improvement.

Bob