Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Starting note for Divas Volume 1

AnnaKAnnaK Posts: 5Pro
Hi, I'm still not clear on what octave I should start on for Divas Volume 1. Does Track 1 start on F#3 or F#4? I'm a mezzo soprano and starting on F#3 feels a little low but I can do it, but then I question whether I'm working my top end enough. Starting on F#4 is fine at first but I feel like I'm really straining when it gets up to the top scales ( C6 etc...). Seems Reeeeaaally high for a warm up. Please clarify, thanks!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 11,665Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    The workouts are intended to be used for whichever octave seems best for your voice.

You should be able to work your chest voice for a while and then transition into head voice. Some Divas start out high and then shift down when it gets too high. Others start out low, and go through the passaggio.

Not only that, but many dudes use the divas workouts and vice-versa. The idea is to be sure to work your chest register, and get into head voice. Also the idea is to stretch how far you can go up in chest voice without shifting into head voice at all. "Stretching Chest" is one goal, and "Bridging into head voice" is another, parallel goal.

So you could use the F#4 as a start, and then stretch a little bit when you get up top, then drop an octave before you get into what feels like it's getting close to a strain. Stop short of that.

Another approach could be to start out on F#4, but as soon as you can, to Drop an octave, for instance, where A4 would come up, drop down to A3 and resume, as long as A3 is doable for you.

That would allow you to exercise the lowest parts of your range that is comfortable.

Many divas come here completely without any chest voice abilities. It's beneficial to exercise that part of your voice and grow it, but not so low that you're bottoming-out, or uncomfortable.

Then again, you may need to "rewind" the playback and resume from about the A and do the higher octave, stopping before it gets to that "too high" place.

Just as information, try the dudes workout and see if it fits better. It's pretty high for a lot of dudes.

Experiment, and stretch your boundaries. Don't strain.
  • AnnaKAnnaK Posts: 5Pro
    What a fantastic response and soooo helpful... thank you! My particular need for my voice is to stretch the chest higher and open up my head voice.

I'm more interested in that right now then I am in working the low end. My low register is pretty strong.

So, since I want to work the passaggio and strengthen head voice, I like your idea of starting at the F#4 and then maybe dropping down the octave when I start to strain. That sounds like the perfect solution to me. And hopefully I'll slowly start stretching chest and opening up head voice. I really want to get that "floaty" feeling in higher belts and head voice. Any other suggestions for that? I'll also check out the "dudes" warmup...

And one last question, should we always be pointing the sound to the mask/front of face? Sometimes it's hard to keep the "open throat" aagh and not have it fall back into the throat. And suggestions for that? And I find keeping things light really helps, yes?

Thanks again for the response. It really cleared things up for me.
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 11,665Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Mask comes into play on N's, M's, and NG's mostly. But those will come and go in a song, so you need to be ready for them as they happen. You want them to ring when you sing. You want a balance of sound coming from the back of the throat, as well as a bit of ring from the nasopharynx.

You do want to keep things light for the most part, especially when working the passaggio, and to get the floaty highs. You don't want to drag a lot of weight up where it doesn't help.

You want to have the bright sound of good cord closure, and shed the weight as you ascend in pitch.