Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Meatloaf -For crying out loud

Just me singing one of the most beautiful love songs ever made.
I failed but atleast i tried.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1QR4E7QUL1h

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 11,665Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    My friend, if you would work on reducing the depth of your vibrato, you would really be halfway there. I'm not trying to be discouraging, but rather, the opposite.

The effect of too much vibrato makes your pitch unstable, and it almost sounds like a parody of Katharine Hepburn, when she was older and her voice trembled. There are Saturday Night Live sketches that the "funny part" is simply mimicking that sound of her voice.

You sing with passion, and you have a lot of range. If you will tackle the vibrato-monster, you will have a lot more people raving about your voice (in the good way). If you keep letting the vibrato run your voice, you will keep having pitch problems and people asking you to reduce the vibrato and saying you are pitchy.

You mix the voice way too low in your demos. The music towers over your voice. With your voice at the correct level, the elephant in the room will be the vibrato.

Ken has an exercise called the "ghosting" exercise that can help people with that issue to reduce the wobble in the voice. It's a matter of training the vibrato itself to shallow-out and be less of a wobble.

Vibrato done well is a good thing, and a mark of professionalism. Over-done, it is a lack of control.

I know how much you want to knock people's socks off with your singing. This will help you a lot if you will correct it.

All the Best!

Bob
  • Simpan27Simpan27 Posts: 64Member
    Yes but if we skip the vibrato did it sound good?
    It sounds really good at times, but then the pitch is off periodically, and there it needs help. I think the pitch problems may be related to the excessively deep vibrato, wavering the pitch all the time.
    Ok so i should ease up on the vibrato?
    Yes, if you want it to sound better to people who listen to you. I know it's hard to do. You kind of get addicted to vibrato, and it has a mind of its own. But if it starts making you sound worse instead of better, then it makes sense to listen to all of the people that are saying the same thing, and lighten it up a bit, so that your pitch will be more accurate.
    Ok i trained on the song today. Not the full song only parts of it. Tried to reduce the vibrato.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0LgyRv5Y4b6
    Sorry, but for some reason the player on vocaroo isn't working on your demo.
    I tried it and it works on mine.
    Yes. I guess I didn't realize there is 17 seconds of silence recorded on the beginning. It sounds better with less vibrato. Honestly, you're still using quite a bit of vibrato, but with less, it sounds better and more in-tune.