Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Song writers?

videoacevideoace Posts: 1,109Pro, 2.0 PRO
How many striving vocalists here at KTVA write their own songs? I'm just curious to know who the songwriters here are to share information on how to create melodies, harmonies, and just general singing techniques for original material.

Peace, Tony

Comments

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Posts: 995Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO
    Right here! In the last year I have written about a dozen pieces in various states from about 1/2 done to ready to record :smiley:
  • videoacevideoace Posts: 1,109Pro, 2.0 PRO
    @Furious_Phil, They should have a separate category for singer/songwriters here.
    Also, did you recently become a mod, or have I not noticed that since I joined?
    Agreed, and yes it was a recent appointment.
    Sweet. Congratualtions
  • ashfittisashfittis Posts: 139Member
    yes ive been writing songs for years I'm awesome at it
  • jamespleasestopjamespleasestop Posts: 29Member, STREAMING PRO
    I'm not awesome at it but I've written a lot of parodies and recorded a few under a pseudonym. I'd like to write something more conventional - just no idea where to start. With parodies once I have the seed of an idea I'm fine, but it normally springs from hearing the song and then connecting it mentally to a topic.

Where do you start writing original songs?
    I started doing these guitarist/songwriter's symposiums that are hosted by some pretty well-known professional A-Lister musicians... Been learning plenty from that.
    Also did a Speed Songwriting course a few years back to give my writing some structure and methodology.
    These 2 things really helped me to be able to write more prolifically and in a more complete manner.
    I wrote a few pieces before doing any of the above, but they were few and far between
    When I lived in Nashville for a while they had weekly songwriting symposiums with well known artists as well. Those get-togethers are priceless, and you can learn years worth of technique, and theory from each one. I always loved the symposiums, and the stories that went along with the writing was just as valuable, and interesting.
  • rickyogimarickyogima Posts: 50Member
    I've been writing songs for a while and still trying to figure it out. I have come to realize that I need to develop my voice to reach a variety of tones for the creative process. I can write songs endlessly but to come up with a song that has appeal to it whether through lyrics, vocal tone or audio production takes work. For what I have discovered, most songs are created within minutes followed by a lengthy production. I am striving to feel and hear a song, then be able to sing out whatever comes to my human experience in hopes of finding a good song: and maybe, a great song. That's why I'm taking singing lessons.