Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Song writers?

How many striving vocalists here at KTVA write their own songs? I'm just curious to know who the songwriters here are to share information on how to create melodies, harmonies, and just general singing techniques for original material.

Peace, Tony

Comments

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Posts: 1,240Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO
    Right here! In the last year I have written about a dozen pieces in various states from about 1/2 done to ready to record :smiley:
  • @Furious_Phil, They should have a separate category for singer/songwriters here.
    Also, did you recently become a mod, or have I not noticed that since I joined?
    Agreed, and yes it was a recent appointment.
  • Sweet. Congratualtions
  • ashfittisashfittis Posts: 188Member
    yes ive been writing songs for years I'm awesome at it
  • jamespleasestopjamespleasestop Posts: 29Member, STREAMING PRO
    I'm not awesome at it but I've written a lot of parodies and recorded a few under a pseudonym. I'd like to write something more conventional - just no idea where to start. With parodies once I have the seed of an idea I'm fine, but it normally springs from hearing the song and then connecting it mentally to a topic.

Where do you start writing original songs?
    I started doing these guitarist/songwriter's symposiums that are hosted by some pretty well-known professional A-Lister musicians... Been learning plenty from that.
    Also did a Speed Songwriting course a few years back to give my writing some structure and methodology.
    These 2 things really helped me to be able to write more prolifically and in a more complete manner.
    I wrote a few pieces before doing any of the above, but they were few and far between
  • When I lived in Nashville for a while they had weekly songwriting symposiums with well known artists as well. Those get-togethers are priceless, and you can learn years worth of technique, and theory from each one. I always loved the symposiums, and the stories that went along with the writing was just as valuable, and interesting.
  • rickyogimarickyogima Posts: 50Member
    I've been writing songs for a while and still trying to figure it out. I have come to realize that I need to develop my voice to reach a variety of tones for the creative process. I can write songs endlessly but to come up with a song that has appeal to it whether through lyrics, vocal tone or audio production takes work. For what I have discovered, most songs are created within minutes followed by a lengthy production. I am striving to feel and hear a song, then be able to sing out whatever comes to my human experience in hopes of finding a good song: and maybe, a great song. That's why I'm taking singing lessons.
  • tonyoftucsontonyoftucson Posts: 14Pro
    This is a something I just sent a lead guitar player
    He sent me video of his skill
    But no video of soul

This may or may not help you
    Then again it might

My response:

I'm not much of a guitar player
    I'm a vocalist

( I play guitar well enough that I
    Write basic skeleton songs
    And lyric
    With harmonic chord proggressions)

And well enough to accompany me through a song
    and throw in some cool runs in between my vocal parts to keep it interesting

I leave the technical thoery to musicians to figure out the rest
    Which always changes my melody
    And intensity
    Resulting in a finished song

With that I agree with slash
    I've played with many guitar geniuses that are only interested in showing off their ability

Its impressive but boring
    Playing alot off impressive scales
    Without considering where the song is coming from
    where it is and where it's going
    Leaves the listener either bored or confused

I've heard Steve vai say hell spend hours on one string

Eddie say hell spend hours on 4 notes trying to come up with as many combinations and different sounds that he can with just those four notes

I know you need to know scales
    Just remember that one sustained note played in the right place can do wonders for a song

So I agree with slash
    Practice practice practice scales
    When it's time to play a song
    Forget about scale technique and
    Just play a song

But what do I know
    I'm just a singer

Although the same holds true for me
    I do vocal exercise after exercise
    When it's time to sing
    I dont chose from one exercise
    I Pick and choose from all of them
    Depending on where I'm trying to lead the listeners to

A fast ride on a straight path is exciting but quickly becomes predictable and boring

A bumpy up and down ride
    With twists and turns
    Starts and stops
    Slow climbs fast drops

Is unpredictable
    And emotionally satisfying

But again
    What do I know
    I'm not a musician

As a singer I ask musicians only one thing
    Play in a way that takes me on that ride
    Happy sad angry laughing crying
    Put all that into one song
    I'll give that song a voice

And the audience wont know what hit them
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 1,279Administrator, 2.0 PRO, hidden_admin, Facility Management
    @tonyoftucson

I love your philosophical considerations.

Doc
  • Devin4397Devin4397 Posts: 42.0 PRO
    I've been jotting down lyric lines by the 1's, 2's, and 3's, rarely the 5's to 7's since idk how long (I mean I'll write down at most 1 or 2 or 3 lines, rarely 5 or 6 or 7, during those rare periods when I'm usually at work and I get a bit of inspiration) But I never ever finished a song and it's just me writing these lyrics usually on a guest check. Unfortunately I don't write (or practice as much as I should) when I'm home but I guess I should, it's always when I'm at work and I have absolutely nothing else to do and I wanna work on it. I have a few guest checks left with incomplete songs that are only 1-5 lines long.