Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Open Arms

Hello

I am ill but i still tried to sing this classic song by Journey. What do you think?

https://vocaroo.com/i/s10cWTQiTH5e

Comments

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Posts: 728Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO
    Hey Simpan,

You've picked a pretty hard song to cover... Steve Perry material is chock full of nuances that take a long time to get down. You have some good potential, mate, but you might want to focus a little more on the core KTVA training in order to get better control of your breath support and your pitch.

Keep going, keep learning and there's no telling where your road will lead you.

Cheers,

Phillip
  • Simpan27Simpan27 Posts: 112Member
    Yes i did the song in falsetto since i have a cold and cannot do it in chest voice right now.
  • Simpan27Simpan27 Posts: 112Member
    I tried cover this song today in chest voice.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0wEVWeMGsFM
  • HaakonHaakon Posts: 10Member
    Hi Simpan.

This is indeed a hard song to do. Steve Perry and Arnel Pineda are amazing singers, and they are among the few in their styles.
    Learning that technique takes many years.
    My two cents about your singing in this particular song, are, that even if you can hit the right notes, your voice needs a lot more support. Your voice sounds forced on the higher notes, and you're not opening your mouth enough. I think you also have to relax all your muscles in your neck and throat more. The tension there will make it harder to reach the higher notes with less effort.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Posts: 728Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO
    @Simpan27,

My best advice to you at this point is to really start focusing on the KTVA exercises.
    Don't worry about posting song covers for now, as you've established your current baseline. Time now to spend some serious time working on the KTVA Volume 1 or Weekend Warrior lessons.
    Give yourself a month or so of really applying the vocal training, then let us hear how you've progressed.

Cheers,

Phillip