Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Diamonds and Rust

Simpan27Simpan27 Posts: 170Member
Just me singing a classic from Judas Priest

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1k6bNgJ72Li

Comments

• stratmanstratman Posts: 364Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO
    @Simpan27 at 1:49 you sound too forced. You’ll need to grow your chest voice to sound more controlled. For now, you’ll need to mix a bit of head voice to get away with these notes. Also, your vibrato is very wide ... very similar to your previous recordings where Bob and I have mentioned this.

Rather than posting another song, could you do a basic Lah scale (1 3 5 8 5 3 1) starting on C3 until the highest note is C5? I’m particularly interested in the area of C4 to C5 in your voice. This is the area that Ken’s program could really help you.

Cheers
    Rob
  • stratmanstratman Posts: 364Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO
    @Simpan27 this video of Ken’s on YouTube is very much about what I’m describing. He mentions specifically about what to practice and also comments about paring down the sound as we get higher in our range. It sounds counter-intuitive to reduce volume but it really works ... and still sounds huge.

• Simpan27Simpan27 Posts: 170Member
    Did it sound good?
  • bentkbentk Posts: 899Pro, 2.0 PRO
    edited November 2017
    Some parts sound like you are forcing your chest voice a lot (higher parts) and pushing pretty hard. Learning to pair down the sound can help you a lot with his.
    And i hear a lot of pitch issues, especially in the beginning.
    I agree with @stratman that you could better post simple scales for us to listen to instead of songs.

I know for sure that you can benefit a lot from focused practice with the KTVA program.

All the best,

Ben
  • simdav58simdav58 Posts: 2Member
    Hi @Simpan27
    Great song choice. I agree with everything that has been commented on this thread so. I will say however that whilst your vibrato does not sound quite right, I think that I am right in saying that you are emulating Rob Halfords style. Something of an acquired taste. He is my vocal hero. You need to develop your mixed voice in order to 'pull off' Halfords style. I have sung a Judas Priest tribute band and believe me, I know how demanding his songs are. Sing the song in a lighter, mixed voice. That way the 'big' notes will no longer need as much effort but will sound so much better.

I am using the Weekend Warrior course to help me develop my style. Like you I carry too much chest voice up in to my higher register but with less than a week on the course I am singing higher notes with more ease and clarity. Simply by not pushing the sound and modifying the vowels I am singing better now than I have in 35+years. As has been said, let people hear you voice . Record some scales. Practice Ken's advice on pitch. Super useful!! As a huge Rob Halford fan, I give you my respect for even attempting to do what he does.

In answer to your question, to my ears not bad BUT it could sound so much better.

Practice hard but practice right!

To anyone else that has commented here, I hope that I haven't contradicted you in any way. This is my first post and don't want it to be my last ;)

Respect
    Sy.

@simdav58

Carrying chest voice high is not necessarily a problem if trained well, it's about how much 'weight' you are pulling with it and how you are doing so. A lot of people tend to start using their throat for instance. I know that 'weight' might sound a little vague here, but one of the great things of KTVA is learning to pair down your chest voice, making you able to go higher with less strain. Now this is not the only component of course, but it is one of them. Just wanted to clear that up!

Good luck with the weekend warrior course!

All the best,

Ben
    How do i find my mixed voice?
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 13,556Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Finding mixed voice, for real, is a long process with a number of long steps. You start by stretching your chest voice, as well as by building your bridge into head voice. Get your chest up to about C5 or better before you stop stretching. Then you'll develop your head voice, and build a bright timbre in it. You'll stretch your head voice down as low as you can get it, where it overlaps your stretched chest voice by as many notes as possible. Then after all of that, you begin thinning the chest and growing the head, and blending the two. You add more head for a headier mix, and add more chest for a chestier mix. There are specific exercises for each of these stages and periods of time to do the development.
    edited December 2017
    Yes i have heard some exercise for this the nay exercise

Does Rob Halford use mixed voice in this song?
    edited December 2017
    We do not use the 'nay' exercise at KTVA, i would strongly advise against using that.

Like Bob said, we build a strong chest voice and increase its range, then we train head voice, and then you are able to achieve the best mix you can get. You can already mix before having trained those two components, but it's the best when you have trained both obviously, and it gives you way more control over it.

Good luck!