Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Stratovarious - Hunting High And Low - One 80's version and one with a bit more grit in the voice

Hi Dudes and Divas!

It's been a long time since I posted anything here on the forum.
Here's 2 takes on Stratovarious, one with 80's voice and one with a bit more grit in it:

Take 1: 80's version

Take 2: Grit version

Critique and Comments are welcome! :)

Comments

• WalterMeloWalterMelo Member, 2.0 PRO, STREAMING PRO Posts: 77
    Man i loved the grit version!
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    @Forsblom Pretty cool stuff man, especially the grit version!
    Almost felt like you were pushing a bit too hard and may have lost support a few times in places?
    Your distortion was like a cool "Fry" and It really suited the song, and I especially liked how you were able to stay in it even when you brought it up higher!

I really liked it man, keep up the good work!

"... It's not the Kill, it's the thrill of the chase!" ~ Deep Purple
  • ForsblomForsblom Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 59
    Thanks @WalterMelo & @Furious_Phil.

@Furious_Phil was it the 80's version you felt I was pushing a bit too hard, or both? I want to know what parts of my voice to work more with, and improve the places where it's weaker :)
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    My bad, I think I was typing too fast and used the wrong terminology... I meant more like your support seems to give out a little at the "end" of most of your phrases and causes some minor pitch problems. Remember how Ken says that the phrase isn't over till it's over, and that your diaphragm has to remain in a controlled push phase (Like a bagpipe) the whole time? If we relax on the diaphragmatic support before the fat lady sings, little inconsistencies creep in.
    Don't get me wrong, I really like your vocal tones and command of Distortion/Fry, but diaphragmatic support is literally the cornerstone of all singers.

Ps - I have to focus hard on it as well to ensure I have enough air to finish a particular longer/more demanding phrase... and some singers are so good at it, they can hold a perfect note for a rediculous amount of time, or do very long phrases on one tank!
  • ForsblomForsblom Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 59
    @Furious_Phil Thanks for the feedback! I'll try a re-record later this week after some more practice, keeping the diaphragm in a controlled push phase all through. :)