Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hi there

gordonhgordonh Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 3
Hi everyone, I'm Gordie from Canada 'eh!

Hoping for a miracle with the course; I've never been comfortable or confident with my voice so I'm hoping all of the comments people have made will be true for me too! I'm looking to do some recording to make my original songs sound top notch. I've never had any problems with the musical side of it, just always had to rely on someone else for the vocals and in the back of my mind wondering why I can't do what they're doing.

In the second introduction video Ken says to try for an hour each day for the course. How do some of you structure that time? So many minutes of watching videos then doing exercises? Any ideas for a newbie would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• stratmanstratman Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 364
    @gordonh welcome. Each person will be different due to amount of available time. My routine is typically as follows:

Instructional videos are watched in a binge fashion i.e. it’s not uncommon for me to watch a whole volume in a single sitting. Usually late into an evening. I may review single videos from time to time when working a specific vowel or technique.

Arpeggios and scales exercises are usually done when I’m walking my dogs around the local park. Fortunately I can walk out of earshot of others. For mon-fri, this is usually 30 min before I go to work. This is a problem currently as I’m on volume 3 and the full drill takes longer than 30 min. I conclude my drill when I go home for lunch (sometimes I miss this due to work commitments). On weekends, I can do the full drill in the morning ... I immediately finish the drill when I arrive home from my 30 min walk.

I practice actual singing of songs over the weekend. Typically, I get 2-4 hours in my purpose built room.

If I’m in a car driving alone, I always take the opportunity to practice some of the exercises. I have all the exercises on my phone.

Cheers
    Rob
  • gordonhgordonh Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 3
    Thanks Rob, that helps!
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Hey Gord,

Where in Canada are you? I'm in Calgary.
    I agree with Rob, as I tend to binge watch the videos before embarking on the actual training phase.
    If you're just starting out, this is very important. Once you finish that, feel free to dive right into Volume 1, but take your time and really listen hard to what he's saying and how he is singing. It is actually to your benefit if you are a good mimic at reproducing sounds.

When you run into the inevitable roadblock, please feel free to post on the forum, and we'll do our best to help you get it resolved and you moving forward.

Cheers,

Phillip
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You will need to periodically re-watch these videos. As you learn more, your mind will catch more info each time you re-watch. My mind goes off on side trips relevant to the video content, almost continuously, as I process the information. This information is gold.
  • rickyogimarickyogima 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 69
    I really think that just about everything is the same regarding training. I was studying the people who memorize the entire Quran and they start off small and build up their skills to the point where they are constantly memorizing and practicing for 2-5 years until they have memorized over 70,000 words. They greatly value working with a mentor who corrects their deliverance until it's perfect. After reading dozens of testimonies I began to realize practice really does make perfect and how badly do you want something is what drives people into amazing results.
  • gordonhgordonh Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 3
    Sorry for the late response guys, I haven't been back in awhile.

I'm north of Edmonton Phil, I just moved here from Calgary about a year and a half ago. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks highmtn, I appreciate it.

Hi Rickyogima, that is amazing the people who memorize the quran. Is that what you're doing? I would think singing and the quran might be at odds with each other. Isn't music forbidden in Islam?