Home Psychology of Singing

low notes

Hi!

My teacher told me I could sing the low Ab. This is really strange because I have another experience. I have tried singing low notes before but never really sang that low before. Today I could not come close to that low pitch. At the lesson she said she heard me sing Ab but I cannot sing the Ab at home. It can't be more difficult singing low notes at home. I even check with a pitch tuner.

How can the teacher and my experience be that extremely different? Anyone who can tell what might be going on? Would another teacher say something else than the teacher I went to when it comes to low notes?

Comments

• stratmanstratman Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 364
    Each person has a low limit that may differ person to person i.e. not all people are capable of singing the same low note. Take a look at this webpage. Specifically look at the ranges of male singers (note that the highest notes do not include the use of head voice)

Because you have not stated whether you are male/female and what octave the Ab is in, I will assume you are a guy and you are referring to Ab2.

As a guy, I can sing D2 as my lowest note and could be classified as a Bass singer (Bass singing parts usually bottom out a E2). Many guys can't sing this low but some can sing even lower e.g. a basso profondo can sing as low as F1 (9 semi-tones lower than me!).

We don't really like to classify voice types on KTVA as it usually hinders people e.g. if I was told I can only sing as a Bass singer, my top note would be E4 which would mean I couldn't sing any rock or pop music! Using KTVA to stretch my chest voice has allowed me to sing as high as G5. I have also extended my lowest notes but only from E2 down to D2.

Hope this helps
    Rob
  • AlyonaAlyona Member, Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 288
    Funny when I sometimes record a song and I'm well warmed up - I can't reach too low notes, so I sing them next morning being not warmed up. When I speak like a man ahahah