Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Post Nasal Drip

Hey guys, went to an ENT recently and was told to have Post Nasal Drip and they had a look at my vocal chords and said they were irritated. I do notice that sometimes when I sing in head voice, cord closure doesn't happen so its airy and I have to force more air (Which I try not to do). So my questions are:

1. Can a humidifier help with irritation/inflammation?

2. Any recommendations? Tips? Tricks?

3. Should I first use the humidifier first or go through my warm-ups first?

Thanks a lot! :)

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 12,714Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    As long as you have post-nasal drip, you may have irritation. So what did the ENT tell you to do to reduce your post-nasal drip?

Humidifiers are great for helping keep the vocal tract clearer. Using one before singing is often a good idea.
  • angeldanielangeldaniel Posts: 34Pro
    ENT prescribed me a nasal spray. Which I tried and I could feel the mucus just clear from the nose but it doesn't seem like enough to clear the mucus on the cords because it goes down.
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 12,714Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    If I have problems with feeling like there is mucus on my vocal cords, I use Oil of Oregano. It might not be right for you. It's peppery, and kind of burns, but feels like it's burning off the mucus. Just a few drops and let it soak in to the back of the throat and down. I had a bottle-dropper of it in the backpack I take to my gigs (full of water bottles) and it leaked out in the pack. Now that backpack smells like a pepperoni pizza. Take a whiff and it will clear your sinuses.

• bentkbentk Posts: 763Pro, 2.0 PRO
    Thanks for the tip @highmtn
    I also get the idea that adding a little apple cider vinegar to your glass of water can help clear the throat of mucus. Although i can't endorse any of this as i have not seen any science behind it. It's just stuff i read when i was looking for tips during a cold. I guess people have tried it. Maybe it's simply the acidity that helps remove the mucus. I haven't investigated it. I guess you could predict some of it when finding out the conditions and observing the chemical structures...

All the best,

Ben
  • angeldanielangeldaniel Posts: 34Pro
    Thanks for the response and I will try Oil of Oregano!