Home SINGER/SONGWRITERS
Options

Vowel modification question - 2.0

JLomaxJLomax Member, 2.0 PRO Posts: 21
I believe there is a difference in between the PDF KTVA Volume 1 - v2.0 graphic of the vowel modification and the Student Demonstration video of the OOH vowel.

In the PDF graphic for the OOH vowel, the modification is shown from OOH, OH, UH and OOH.

If the Student Demonstration video at approximately 1:55, Ken states to definitely NOT include UH in the modification. That there is strictly two modifications, OOH and OH.

Please explain

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    edited December 2017
    @JLomax
    You are correct at the variance between what is said in the Student Demonstration, and you are correct about what is in the chart.

You will find that the chart that is in the Volume 2 "Vowel Transitional Chart" differs even more.

We can look at some things from different perspectives as we move along the timeline of the learning curve.

It is a fact that the most direct and simple way to learn to use mods such as on Oh, Ooh, and others is a simple toggle, back and forth. That will get you by quite often. Ken does like to break things down to the simplest form, and many students aren't ready to hear about variables. Just getting them to do the simplest mods is difficult.

You will see that the EE vowel is treated the same way. The simple way is to just go EE and eh (like led).
    But as we get into actual lyrics, sometimes we have to take different paths, based on the context of the vowels in the lyrical line.

Here is a little bit of explanation along those lines from Ken:

When we first train these vowels (they are "exceptional vowel vowels and have exceptions") When we initially train Ooh (who) most people can't get past how closed down the vowel is. In fact people close them down so much there is a serious restriction in the throat. So we start very "basic." On Ooh, We always start form the position of "Oh" with Ooh in it and toggle between the two. This helps people identify in the throat that we are actually always singing Oh (not Ooh) but adding Ooh to an "Oh" sound. So let's look at it like this initially using a sports example...

When learning to kick a ball, we start off small to get our "small game" techniques together. And little by little, as we build accuracy for our small game, we start to open up those kicks to a bigger game where we start really leaning in and going for it (but correct strong muscle memory must be built for this first to attempt this).

Once we can achieve this toggle of Ooh (from the position of oh first in the throat with a little ooh added to it) and then to oh, we get amazing consistency with a very subtle change.

As we start to seriously grow this sound we bring in uh (like love).

This is where it can get a little complicated depending on voice type (If I added everyone one of these nuances, 2.0 would be ten times the size it is
    now...)

So all of this information could have been left out, but a lot of people want to know more about it. So take it to the level you want to.

Should we "ever" go to "uh" in the Ooh vowel? Yes, if you follow the rules. If the modifiations seem too complicated, then stay with the toggle, and you will be fine.

KTVA 1.0 came without charts. The charts are here in 2.0 as guidelines to help you interpret the material to a greater degree. The vowels are broken down to show their relationships and how to better manuever between them, once you get up into the higher notes.

I hope this information is helpful.

Bob
  • Options
    JLomaxJLomax Member, 2.0 PRO Posts: 21
    Bob,

Thank you for the thorough explanation. I am a 'conscious incompetent' looking to trust in a process to build my voice. I'm getting that this is the place to invest my time and energies.

Thank you again for the clear instruction.

With kind regards,

John