Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Throat Soreness

I have throat soreness or a warm burning from doing Lip Drills: so I stopped.

However, I am pleased to say that after many attempts and over a few weeks I can now do the lip drills and had difficultly at first like many have when starting out.

Yet there seem to be a sudden throat failure (_perhaps_) whenever I try to move up the scale. I constantly sing throughout the day as a habit and now finding it difficult to stop singing when I'm at the bus stop or elsewhere, lol. I have to literally force myself to stop singing to deal with this vocal tension. It appears that the voice is very slow in growth and or very sensitive (meaning doing a lip drill for a few times immediately requires long periods of rest for either muscle repair or strengthening).

One video suggested "yawning" as a warm-up.
Perhaps I need to monitor how much time I spend doing the lip drills such as 15 minutes, then when I recognize a slight growth in soreness or tension: stop for the day?

Do you know if the voice is like working out with weights where you need a day or two to heal?

It's a real slow start for singing and I have all the time in the world so I'm taking a course in Mixing Vocals which is pretty decent.

My goal is to slowly move into being able to have the endurance and strength to sing for a few hours a day.

~ Richard

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Lip burbles should not be done loudly. They should be done with similar breath to blowing on a candle without blowing the flame out. If your voice hurts after doing lip drills you are doing something too forcefully.
  • rickyogimarickyogima 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 69
    Thanks I still have a sore throat and discovered it was mild pneumonia probably due to living in climate where it's been about minus 20 to 30 daily. Perhaps singing made my vocal chords weaker and unable to stand against the cold which normally doesn't affect me but it does impact others.

Anyhow, hope you are well @highmtn and thanks for your response.
  • I'm living in the same conditions right now, and it definitely changes the way you sing. I started using a heavy scarf this winter to keep my neck warm, but still have to breathe in the arctic air. Some days I'm not able to sing because of it.

Peace, Tony
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Same here! Just watched Marianna's Trench perform live outside in -40 here in Calgary for NYE! I can't believe they were able to even play, let alone sing!
  • rickyogimarickyogima 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 69
    Yea I bought a Humidifier for my bedroom when I practice singing and it has helped in a huge way. I am also trying to cut back on coffee but that's a tough one, lol
  • I'm with ya on the coffee thing. I used to drink 3-4 pots a day by myself. Now I have two cups in the morning, and the rest of the day its room temp water, but that water makes a world of difference in my singing.