Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Fire away!

MoftemMoftem Enrolled Posts: 114
https://youtu.be/IRuWmRX1SJ0

So this is where I´m at. I bought the course on 18 of October. Still on volume one. I can say that I feel more comfortable singing this song in A major than I did a couple of months ago. I´ve been told I need to focus on pingyness. I´m tryin´. I work volume one for head and chest most every day, and I will continue doing that (I slacked off during the Holidays though). Anything else I should be focusing on for now? I´m mainly looking for constructive feedback with this video. I find it challenging to keep the throat real open through all the consonant sounds. How do I make my voice strong and clear as fast as possible? So I can start adding more oomph to my sound and not sound so pretty and soft all the time.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    edited January 2018
    I really like the way you sing. Your voice sounds good, and you add feeling to it which makes a huge difference.
    Do you plan on recording any of your own songs in the future?

On to your question. I don't know how the mods would feel about this but, Glottal compression (holding back air) is the key I think you're looking for. You seem to have all the fundamentals down, but like you said, you just need that ummpphhh.

You've only been in the course a short time, but your voice sounds like it's ready for a next step.

That would be my suggestion, but I'm not the professional here so take it for what it's worth.

Peace, Tony
  • MoftemMoftem Enrolled Posts: 114
    videoace said:

I really like the way you sing. Your voice sounds good, and you add feeling to it which makes a huge difference.
    Do you plan on recording any of your own songs in the future?

On to your question. I don't know how the mods would feel about this but, Glottal compression (holding back air) is the key I think you're looking for. You seem to have all the fundamentals down, but like you said, you just need that ummpphhh.

You've only been in the course a short time, but your voice sounds like it's ready for a next step.

That would be my suggestion, but I'm not the professional here so take it for what it's worth.

Peace, Tony

Cheers videoace/Tony. I did a live album on the street with my own songs last summer: https://mortenvestergaard.bandcamp.com/releases . I sell copies of it when I'm out busking on the street. But I think my voice has improved since then, which makes me joyous. I want to be a kickass singer before I write my next album, however many years that's gonna take. Writing for a good voice (my own future voice in this case) will make everything sound better hopefully.

I don't think I really know how to do glottal compression, but that sounds like it might be great for this occasion. Thanks for the insight. It sounds very intriguing! I hear it's in one of the later volumes, and I'm really looking forward to learning about it! Last time I talked to highmntn (spelling?) he said I should do volume one a bit longer and grow the pingy/bright tone and get some nice consistency. I really appreciate your comment. I will work my ass off with volume one, and as soon as one of the mods says go on I will devour volume two.

Onwards, comrades! To singing glory!

• I'm still on volume one myself, but I'm getting ready to move on, but the glottal compression will help with your ping, pitch, and holding notes for a long time.
    Nice. How long have you been on volume one?
    Oh sorry I see it now. I'm stalking you. Seven months in. That's impressive dedication my friend!
  • this is my 7th month, but I had zero singing experience so I want to make sure I get the fundamentals down really good.

I just skimmed through about 6 of your songs. They are really good, you should be recording them in a studio or in a controlled environment. I like them a lot.
    videoace said:

this is my 7th month, but I had zero singing experience so I want to make sure I get the fundamentals down really good.

I just skimmed through about 6 of your songs. They are really good, you should be recording them in a studio or in a controlled environment. I like them a lot.

Thanks for the comments on my music. I'm glad that the songs bring you some form of joy.

And that is indeed the best approach, to get the fundamentals. You seem to have come a long way in just 7 months. I hope you get the better of those dreaded lip rolls, but you will be great in either case.
    edited January 2018
    Dang, I accidentally wrote that I bought the program 18th of November. It was the 18th of October.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    edited January 2018
    I went back, and listened to the rest of your songs. I really liked "I Am the Moon You Are the Sea". Great job vocally.
    If I was a tourist, or just in the area you were performing, I would probably sit, and watch the whole performance. It takes a lot of guts to put yourself out there like that, and entertain people. I have much respect for one guy, one guitar.

Peace, Tony
    Cheers Tony. Funny you should mention that one in particular. Here's a live version from the street, that you can watch if you're interested. I was busking in my home town one evening during the holidays. https://www.facebook.com/morvestmusic/videos/2042436382644684/ Maybe the link works for you.
  • Yes, the link worked fine. I liked the recording of it that you have on your original posting; The vocals really seem to stand out more.
    I'm not sure how it is in Denmark, but do you need to purchase permits to perform on public streets? Here where I'm at you need one
    Peace, Tony

You can't get a permit. Authorities will get really confused if you call and ask for one. You just have to do it anyway. Cops are lenient about it 99% of the time as long as you're not being obnoxiously loud.
  • I know that if I were to play an area as dark as where you are in Detroit.........my guitar, and half my clothes would be stolen from me lol
    Don't they light that place up at night?
    Yeah I hear it's quite dangerous to busk in some countries at night. Maybe you need a bouncer with you to busk in Detroit? In Denmark it's quite safe usually. My home town, with about 65k inhabitants, is lit up at night, but not very much so on the pedestrian streets. Most of the light there comes from shop displays. I guess it's an ideal opportunity to start singing "Hello darkness, my old friend..." .