Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hello. My name is kenmack, and I'm a vocalholic.

kenmackkenmack 2.0 ENROLLED, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 20
I would give up all just to sing. I sing at home. I sing at work. I sing in the car. I even sing in the shower. I have a musical nature which has been undeveloped for the most part, but how in the world was my mother to know that when the few of my second grade classmates left class to study piano, that I wanted to do this too? I guess I should have told her.

Anyway, vocals is my instrument. I have an acoustic guitar that I refer to as an autistic guitar as it only plays what I could glean from books during the pre-internet days. I play harmonica reasonable well as it is not far removed from the voice (at least to me). I took two quarters of voice lessons in college where I had the best voice in the class, but that was over 30 years ago. I was trying to get into a band then, but no band wanted a male singer who couldn't otherwise contribute with an instrument. I, however, when faced with the decision, put my money and time into my education and career. There was no band for me. There was no more vocal lessons.

When people hear me sing, most love it, some hate it. I'm 6'3'' tall yet have an upper range that seems non-congruent with the person singing it. I have been told that I sound like Jim Croce or Cat Stevens, and when I sing James Taylor, people will tell me to stop trying to sing like James Taylor and sing in your normal voice (um, I am singing in my normal voice).

You might have guessed that I am a baritone, but I also have about a third of the tenor range. I have a two and a half octave range. My biggest frustration is that most of the popular songs are in the tenor range which I then cannot duplicate. Back when I was trying to find a band, prospects would ask me, "Can you sing Boston, Foreigner, Journey, etc.?", and that was usually the end of it.

Anyway, I found this site because I have resolved to learn guitar and had joined an online course. During this new study, I came across Ken's videos. I read his wiki and figured him genuine. I've been practicing my voice over the last 30 years according to what I learned during those two quarters in college. In some ways I'm better, some ways I'm not, and someways I might be worse. I will learn guitar and hopefully sing along with it. I will no longer neglect my musical self. Guitar is my first step back down this path, but it is mostly so I can sing. I am a vocalholic.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    @kenmack,

If you are a true vocaholic, like many of us here, you will have no other recourse than to completely admit that you have to actually know all of the methods that grow your voice into a monster that cannot be contained, by diving into Ken's singing course. There is no tentative vocaholic. Only staggering, gotta-have-it, can't stop it vocaholics. The first step in vocaholism is to recognize that you are one, and nothing you do will prevent you from continuing to be one.

You are among friends.

Hi. I'm Bob. I'm a vocaholic.
  • kenmackkenmack 2.0 ENROLLED, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 20
    No if about it. But I have engaged in another prospect which is taking all my free time and attention. There is also the issue of my wife who went to college on voice scholarship and who says I sing through my nose and with too much vibrato. So like the watchman in Harry Chapin's song, I don't sing around her anymore, but that's a whole 'nuther issue yet it will hamper my ability to practice Ken's program at home. Still, it shows me as a true vocalholic when I have to hide my habit.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hiding the problem is a sign of late-stage grande mal vocaholism.
  • rickyogimarickyogima 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 69
    Hi Yah @kenmack en welcome, glad to meet another person who has music in the body, mind and soul.
  • kenmackkenmack 2.0 ENROLLED, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 20
    Hey, good news! I'm a member now. I can't wait to upload a video when maybe, just maybe, I won't go down in flames. If I do "Taxi" by Harry Chapin, can I skip that part in the middle, especially where it seems someone else is singing in falsetto? Also, can I do it a cappella and with the notes that were put into my head long ago so that if I were to do, say, a major third when actual song is a minor third it would be forgiven as long as I hit the note I intended?
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited August 2021
    Hi @kenmack, that's great news you joined. you should make sure to get student's access. https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/6859/how-to-get-access-to-the-ktva-how-to-sing-better-than-anyone-else-student-areas-of-the-forums#

you can record and post anthing (as long as it is in line with the rules of the forum), the most helpful (and seemingly most boring) is actually to post the LAH scales (both bridging and stretching), as this is the "benchmark test" for KTVA techniques. but sure, post your Taxi song, too!

• Reuben03Reuben03 2.0 PRO Posts: 183
    Yeah man, I am vocalholic too, and my voice sucks, which is why I am here.
  • NinaSTNinaST 2.0 PRO Posts: 91
    Hi Kenmack! I am Nina and I am a vocaholic too.
    Be aware though, following KTVA is just going to make your vocaholism worse as you will notice your improvement. :)