Home Vocal Health and Wellness

A bit of tension in the throat...good or bad?

csuewahsingcsuewahsing Member, STREAMING PRO Posts: 5
I've been working the KTVA program for three weeks now. And I'm feeling the difference already with just volume one. I've been practicing almost everyday for 45-60 minutes. That includes approximately 10 minutes doing the warm-up exercises and triads.

I do feel there's a little bit of tension or stress around the throat area. It doesn't feel sore or raspy like you would feel with a cold or strep. I can talk, eat and drink without any discomfort. I notice it more when I'm doing nothing. Is that normal? If so is there something I need to be concerned about?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Just about everybody feels some minor "after effects" of using the vocal muscles in ways they have never been exercised before, at first. It's always OK to cut back a little bit on how much volume you use, or how much effort you put into reaching for higher notes, especially while this is new to you. You gradually gain stamina and strength, and things that are a little bit tough for you now will become easier. If you have any doubts, it's always better to undersing a little rather than to oversing.

The thing you would need to be concerned about would be chronic oversinging. We kind of learn our limits as we begin to get practice routines to become more consistent.
  • csuewahsingcsuewahsing Member, STREAMING PRO Posts: 5
    Thanks! I think I'm more conscious of over-singing now since I've started the course. The diaphragm support idea has got me putting the effort of singing away from my throat and jaw and onto my diaphragm (I hope I said that correctly). And I think this has taught me that I don't need to strain my voice so much. So I'm actually much more relaxed. I think what I'm feeling is like what you said; I'm exercising my vocal muscles in a different way.

I'm eager to see volume 2 in the streaming course!!

Thanks!!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You are approaching support correctly if you are beginning to rely on your gut more than just your throat when trying to reach higher notes. Continue along that line of thinking.

All the Best!

Bob