Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Have you seen Whiplash?

cjfoxcjfox Posts: 14Member, 2.0 INTERMEDIATE
Hi Everyone, I'm an old guy recently retired and going back to my previous existence as a hippy musician. The "Whiplash" title is in reference to my choir instructor when I was 11.
I always enjoyed singing, my mother and aunts always were singing, so I joined the choir in school. The choir master was a failed opera singer, who I think might have had a problem with alcohol. I never got a chair thrown at me, but I got the strap for various issued like "being disrespectful" and was told repeatedly I would never amount to anything, and I was not living up to my potential. Although I kept singing just to spite him, I was turned off formal instruction and most authority figures for many years.

As a young man I went through several different rock/pop bands playing keyboards and singing backup. I always thought I wasn't good enough to sing lead, or if so only occasionally. I did get to work with some great singers, and learned about arranging harmonies, but the realities of making a living through music alone, had me going back to school and pursuing a different career for the rest of my working years.

Now that I'm retired I've been going to a lot of jams, and started singing lead because that's the way I get to play what I want. I've been getting better, and I thought maybe I can improve my singing beyond my childhood programming.
I came across Ken's stuff on you tube, loved his energy and began to think, maybe I can be the vocalist I really want to be.
I've just started volume 1, and I already can hear a difference. I know from experience "It don't come easy" so I'm ready to put some work in and see where it goes.

Comments

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Posts: 1,122Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO
    Great attitude mate! And honestly, it is largely that that'll keep you going when many quit.
    Keep it a happy adventure, but understand that Rome was not built in a day.
    And don't fall into the trap of comparing yourself to others, rather, develop yourself into the best version of your "singer-self"!

This course has all the building blocks, in strategic order to get you there, safely!
    So when you're ready for the deep-dive into the full-on course, get ready for the magic!

Cheers,

Phillip