Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Jimmy Gnecco

What exactly is happening with his voice at 2:32? I suppose he is hitting a very high chest note with some distortion. Any tips on working this out for myself.

Thanks

Comments

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Posts: 811Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO
    First take:
    Sounds like a mixed chest/head... not entirely sure that is entirely safe distortion or if his voice is just breaking up on those high notes.

Deeper dive:
    He does go in and out of it, and is still able to sing cleanly, which makes me think there's good control there... I don't see too many signs of over-singing (red face/veins bulging etc) and from a precursory viewing, does seem to be using open-throat technique.

That upper distorted note (Cry-y-y-inggg) glisses up to a Eb5 for that magic note you are referring to.
    Speaking from experience, it would take a bit of work to access safe distortion at anything above F4-G4 as that is typically where the passagio from chest to head happens.
    It typically takes some serious head and mix training to unlock this.

End thoughts:
    Totally possible with decent post-volume3 training

Cheers,

Phillip
  • catherinehillcatherinehill Posts: 2Member
    edited May 4
    Great video and thanks for this advice. I will try to work with it