Home Off Topic
Options

Interesting questions

What's the main strength/weakness of a high baritone?

Also what's the difference between bari, high bari & a tenor? (in terms of tone)

What's the best genre to sing for a high baritone?

Comments

• Options
    Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    I am sure others can answer this far better than I, but I'll start it off.

Ken is a High Baritone:
    Strengths are extreme range upwards and a low rumbly tone below. He can hit notes in both directions that many of us simply can't.
    Weaknesses might be that he can't thin out his voice as much as someone like Ray Gillen or Michael Jackson could. Mind you, he can certainly hit their notes and do it justice, but has an inherent girth that neither of these 2 did.

Baritone by definition lies between the bass and tenor ranges, overlapping both of them. The typical baritone range is from A2 to A4

A typical High Baritone can go up to C5 or a bit better

A Tenor's ceiling typically lies between E5-A5

Having said that, KTVA students routinely shatter these rather generous range #'s (Most sites quote them as being significantly lower).

My range for example is G2-D5. This would put me as a High Bari, but Ken's upper range can send dogs and dolphins into hysterics! Calling him a High Bari, is like calling a Ferrari just another car!!!

The take-away:
    Don't get caught up on labels and ranges... Just sing your heart out, and continue to challenge yourself till you shatter all the labels like Ken did B)
  • Options
    bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    I would like to add: don't confuse chest voice range with head voice. Of course at KTVA you can stretch them out higher, but somewhere it will stop. For males, if someone's range goes to B5, that's probably not full chest anymore, but including head voice.

I share the same sentiment with which Phil ended his post here. Get the best from your voice at KTVA and never mind the labels.