Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Before I started KTVA

TrineTrine Enrolled Posts: 269

Hi,

This is the way I sang before I started the course. Right now I sound even worse, because I don't try to sound good, I just try to make sounds that are right, with open throat and support. Hopefully I will be able to show you some progress in a while, when I use my new knowledge on real songs.

Here I show you three songs: "Alone" by Heart, "Piece Of My Heart" by Janis Joplin and "Rolling In The Deep" by Adele.

I have got comments on "Alone" from Ken, and what he says is that I need more open throat, support, less air and less emphasis on consonants. And of course much more.

I am very happy to hear your critical comments. I am not losing my self confidence at all from it, it only makes me want to learn more and work more with the voice.

http://soundcloud.com/simmot/another-little-trine

http://soundcloud.com/simmot/alone-trine

http://soundcloud.com/simmot/rolling-in-the-deep-trine

Thank you so much for taking time to listen :-)

Trine

Comments

• GuevaraGuevara Enrolled Posts: 140
    Hi Trine,

I have just listened to "Alone" and really enjoyed it. I am not a vocal coach, but will say that I thought that your voice really comes alive in the chorus of this song and I love the conviction and feeling you give to your performance. Sounds like you are already at a high standard. Working Ken's program will make you into a monster vocalist Trine.
    Hi again:-)

Just listened to your Janis Joplin track. I think you sound really awesome; my only complaint is that the demo is short. I would love to have listened to you sing the whole thing. You've got great tone and passion in your voice.
    And finally:-)

I couldn't access the Adele track for some reason:-(
    But I do have a question for you Trine: Are you playing the guitar on the tracks you posted? It sounds really great!

I don't think you will need to radically change the vocal technique you are already using. It will be more a case of subtle adjustments here and there, as opposed to a complete overhaul of your voice. Can't wait to hear your voice when you have worked the program for a while, you will sound amazing.

P.S. your pitch sounds spot on too! 
  • TrineTrine Enrolled Posts: 269
    Thank you very much, Guevara, for the nice comments! I used to be so shy about singing, but went to a vocal coach recently. I just said: "help me to have the guts to sing for other people!" And he didn't talk about technique. He just told me to take it all out and be present in what I sung. So I did. And I am no longer afraid of singing. That is a big step for me. I am not playing the guitar. It is the vocal coach. He told me he worked more with performance and expression, and that I should go and see a teacher focusing more on the technique in addition. I will post the Adele song again, and see if it works.Check the same post. I think I can edit it.
  • sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Hey Trine,

Great work.  I would say that you are using that breath support very well.  We can always use more support to take strain away from the throat.  Great tone in the verses.  I know Ken does like us to use as little air as possible, but does say it is ok for style.  I like the verses a lot.  Once you dig into the program, you will notice those vowel sounds starting to open up.  Look through the lyrics, and see where you can add that nice open ah vowel.   you are starting from a great place, and will only improve from here.
  • sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    just took a listen to Piece of My Heart.  Again great work, and you are using less air in the verse/chorus section of the tune.  Here is an example of opening up those vowels.  on the "come on, come on" line, you could try this.  C'ah"m Ah"n"  just a little more open Ah into the soft 'O" vowels will open that right up.  You should notice that it will free up your voice.  right now you are closing it down to the Aw(as Loft) vowel, and you don't need to.  Give it a try, and see what you think.

Thank you sspatric! Before I started the course, I was starting to get a feeling of the meaning of different vowels. E.g. in "Alone", you can hear how my voice closes down on: Till now, I've always gone by... the 'a' at the end of 'by'. In the last part of the song, I change it a bit, and I hear how it opens up. This is very interesting.

Yes, I noticed what you say about the "ah"! It is so amazing that such a small adjustment can have so great effects. Thank you for the good advices. I really appreciate it and it helps me to understand more.
  • TrentawilsonTrentawilson Enrolled Posts: 13

I'm just now beginning the program myself and I'm not at all experienced enough to give critiques. I just wanted to say that I LOVE your voice girl!! Keep it up : )

Hey Trine,

"Rolling In The Deep":  Really fantastic; I love the energy, urgency and emotion in your vocal delivery.  
    :-) :-) :-) You are all so supportive and positive. Thank you

@guevara, there is something wrong with the Janis Joplin file. It is longer than that. I will find out what is the problem and post a longer (but not full) version later.

Trine

@guevara, now you can check it again. It is longer now.

T

Yes, this version is longer and has more of the chorus etc. Again great job. You and your coach make a great duo!!
  • panteropantero Enrolled Posts: 27
    Wow Trine, man, what are you doing here? You're ready, you passed the academy. :D
    You should be out recording and singing to millions :) You seem to have rasp, grind, grit on top of that very clear sound of yours. Your sound is so much better than hundreds of these beeping top selling Kate Berrys nowdays.., combined.

Wow, Pantero! Thank you:-). Make me so happy to hear such comments. You know it is just one month since I opened my mouth to others than my car. I was so shy to sing. Getting such feedback is like putting your hands in your pocket and finding 100 billion dollars there. Just that you didn't know it. It means a lot to me. But I practise a lot now. I learnt all of the things in stage 1. I will go on a bit more until feel confident, and then start on stage 2. I see you are from Finland? I am Norwegian. We're neighbours:-)

By the way, I listened to your tracks. You have such a special and intense voice. I look forward to hear more from you. Really something you don't hear often.

Hugs,

Trine

• IstarcIstarc Pro Posts: 23
    I wish I could have the half of your voice quality with "no training". Those tracks sounds excellent.
  • great sound, I like your voice, your transmit me much feeling
  • david1552david1552 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 74
    @Trine

Trine, I have listened to your earlier demos now, and first of all, you really have a nice voice and secondly now with KTVA your voice is gonna SHINE (It already does), I think you will have a really cool nice bright clean voice and when you add that awesome raspiness it's gonna be killer :)

//David
    Thank you all! I would like to post something recent soon, so we can hear if there has been any progress:-)
  • jnaabjnaab Pro Posts: 28
    @Trine

I just listened to all three tracks. You are already performance-ready! Great pitch, tone, expression. I look forward to hearing your development.

Joe