Home Ken Tamplin's Corner

Developing Heavy Voice

Alex_BuzmakovAlex_Buzmakov Enrolled Posts: 26
edited October 2012 in Ken Tamplin's Corner
Hi!

As I seen in demonstration's on th site, I can possess a heavy voice like Hatfield's voice or Sally Erna's voice but with more technique and less damage to my health or even beter, create my own heavy voice. But my question is how I can possess proper technique and this kind of voice and when should I do it? After creating a stable bright voice first? I saw a distiortion vid in the vol 3 but I'm not sure that it is what I'm looking for. I'm wrong?

Thanks,
Alex

Comments

• slsiscrapslsiscrap Enrolled Posts: 17
    edited June 2020
  • Alex_BuzmakovAlex_Buzmakov Enrolled Posts: 26
    Patience, patience... =) Ok, I'll be waiting for that beautiful moment =) Thanks
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Alex

Andy is correct.  Do not try to watch all three videos and attempt to do vocalization techniqes that are from the most advanced portions of Stage Three.  You're playing with fire. 

Take better care of your voice than that.  You are going to need it when it is time to ROCK!  But don't trash your voice!  Learn the techniques, build the strength and support you will need, and learn what this is all about. 

We're all eager to get to the mountain top, but we need to make sure we don't fall off the cliff on the way!

Bob

You're extremely right bob, thanks. I understand that I need to master basics before going to more advanced things. I just didn't know is this technique should be masteret later or right away. So, I understand that it's like I need to develop good clean sound of guitar before I out it into distortion pedal. I'm guitarist, you know =)
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited October 2012

Yes, Alex,

But you can go buy another guitar if you smash the one you have now.  You don't get another set of vocal cords! 

The Glottal Compression techniques will allow you to preserve your vocal cords, and also to apply a controlled amount of distortion/compression.  This is very, very advanced technique, and if you apply that kind of distortion without the protection of the proper breath regulation, you will damage your voice.  Some very well-known vocalists can no longer sing the soaring high notes that made them famous. 

There is a fine line between mastering this technique safely and blowing out your vocal cords. 

While you are waiting for your voice to mature into the powerful instrument it is going to become, I suggest you read Ken Tamplin's Guide to BELTING.

http://kentamplinvocalacademy.com/the-ken-tamplin-guide-to-belting/

Bob

Yes, you're right, I should be extremely careful with my voice. I didn't read Guide to Belting, so I'm doing it now =) I always think that voice is very sensetive instrument. As I know, many vocalists rehears only half of the actual rehearsal because they want to save their voice. Also I hear a lot stories about vocalists who was forced to drop tunings (like Hetfield from Metallica) or even quit from professional scene (like Roy Khan from Kamelot). So I scared enaugh to be careful with my voice =) But thank you for your warning, it'sreally important