Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Vaping and Singing

FFBSFFBS Posts: 162Pro
Greetings,
we all know smoking is bad for our voice, so I gave up my smoking habits, and I started vaping 2 months ago hoping to see some improvement in my voice. I have not sung a song for 2 months but I'm doing the voice exercise daily. Is vaping damage our voice?

Thanks

Francisco

Comments

• videoacevideoace Posts: 891Pro, 2.0 PRO
    @FFBS
    I believe that anything foreign in the lungs can be harmful over time. The difference between cigarettes, and vapor is that one is smoke (it's dry), and the other is moisture (basically breathing water in tiny amounts).

The new findings say that vapor is just as harmful if not more harmful than cigarettes, and that effects the lungs which will affect your singing I would assume.

I'm no choir boy so don't think I'm preaching, It's just information I've read about the two.

Peace

• FFBSFFBS Posts: 162Pro
    Videoace,
    Thank you for that information. I will slowly quit vaping for my voice.

Best regards
    Francisco
  • TommyMTommyM Posts: 270Pro
    @FFBS As a smoker and someone who's using vapes to quit, I agree largely with what's been said. One thing I do have issue with is the suggestion that vaping is just as bad as cigarettes when it's not actually the case. Yes, taking any foreign substance into your body, especially through the respiratory system for singers like us, isn't a helpful thing to do so regardless of method, not smoking or vaping at all is infinitely superior.

The main research propagated regarding e-cigs being as bad as normal cigarettes is was funded by tobacco companies as a way to dissuade people from stopping smoking. Objective and empirical testing from independent academic sources indicate otherwise as, while there are still chemicals produced through heating of material and ingestion that aren't good for you, there's no formaldehyde, benzene and all the other carcinogens present in tobacco smoke.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the problems reported where the e-cigs have exploded or the liquid has been heated too much and caused lung damage are down to defective, cheap imported products. Stick to good quality brands rather than the cheap options and the odds of that sort of thing happening reduce exponentially.

There's a lot of crap floating around about e-cigs just now, and to make matters worse there's always someone looking to make a quick buck with low-quality goods. This all combines to create a bad impression of what is a helpful and at least somewhat healthier option when it comes to quitting smoking.

Just my two cents on the matter, but I thought I'd try to clarify a bit.