Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Should I quit?!

ikingiking Posts: 180Pro
edited July 19 in The Singer's Lobby
Hey all,

Should I quit? Yesterday my singing was slammed!

I'm talking about from a family member.

-
Opinions?

Comments

• DiegoDiego Posts: 370Member
    In my sincere opinion, NO. You should not quit. Just because you got told your singing wasn't good doesn't mean it can't be developed. Take advantage of this program Ken has given all of us. You won't get this quality anywhere else. Use this forum to it's maximum, because it's full of good advice from other people who have a lot of experience with singing, and also people who are trying to learn like you.

Now what I would recommend is, like I have told other people before. Use the critiques you are given, and use them as something you can use to motivate yourself to really learn how to sing.

If you put work into it, you'll be as good as you are on guitar. You'll see.

-Diego
  • ikingiking Posts: 180Pro
    edited July 19
    Thanks Diego,

I appreciate positive advice. I think we all need it.

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 13,577Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Some people feel "empowered" to tell others that they are not worthy of being a singer, that there is no use in trying. They seldom say that to any other kind of musicians, about their playing, or to children about their future ambitions, but many in our culture believe the "Born a singer or born not to sing" lie. And they can be hurtful when they tell you that, and feel perfectly justified in it, as though they are "doing you a favor".

That's really rude. Are they a vocal expert? Are they a vocal coach or evaluator? Do they know your future potential? Do they know that they are hurting your self-image by saying something like that about a part of your body and your soul?

There are even a lot of people in the music industry who believe that singing is unlearnable. It is true that some have more of a natural gift for it, and learn more quickly. Just like Guitarists. Just like athletics or scholarship. And some people will never become as good a guitarist as you. But just about everybody can learn what they are willing to put in the time and attention to train to be better. Everybody deserves to be given a chance to try, and some of us take a lot longer to become what self-appointed critics might have the ability to appreciate.

It's wrong to be a discouragement to others who want to try to do something that may be difficult to master. Singing is such a personal thing, rather than an external thing. It's almost like telling someone that their body type or their ethnic roots are ugly. That's just rude and wrong.

By the way, I liked that demo you posted yesterday. I just didn't get a chance to say so. It had a groove and a nice feel. I wanted to say that I enjoyed it. Your vocals certainly didn't bum me out.
    edited August 29
    Bob, thanks.

excellent advice as usual.
  • TommyMTommyM Posts: 270Pro
    @iking If you quit, I'm going to track you down and inflict unspeakable horrors upon your person.

Seriously mate, don't even entertain the thought 'cause you'd be giving up more than you can imagine on the basis of one person and their opinion. Whether they're family or not, and whether or not your family are toxic overall should be inconsequential. You do this for YOU, not for them or anyone else. Aye, they're entitled to their opinions just as you're entitled to disagree, but as you already know accepting criticism, whether it's constructive or otherwise, is a massive part of the game.

I said this to someone else recently on here, but one of the main reasons why I got so good at singing when I was younger was because someone told me I sucked. They said I spoke rather than sang, so I took that as a challenge and ended up developing a really good, powerful voice. I don't mean to sound arrogant in saying that, but I worked really, really hard on my voice for three or four years until I was at a level far beyond my peers. It was a negative comment from a close friend that set me off on the road to where I've ended up now. If he hadn't said that, I'd probably have dwelt in mediocrity and never pushed myself further, so use the criticism as fuel for the fire. Let your passion for singing burn inside you and use negativity, almost alchemically, to transmute that into something positive.

I notice you mention why you don't offer advice on here. I think you, me and Tony (videoace) share in that problem. We all seem to end up sounding colder or more aggressive than we actually mean to, even condescending or arrogant, just due to the way we communicate. Look at my posts, for example; they're walls of text 'cause I end up trying my best NOT To come off as a complete prick but it still happens anyway! Hahaha!

Stick with it, and if you give up you'll have an angry, bearded Scotsman hunting you down like a drunken Liam Neeson while singing Soundgarden songs.

If you quit, I'm going to track you down and inflict unspeakable horrors upon your person.

ha!

Seriously mate, don't even entertain the thought 'cause you'd be giving up more than you can imagine on the basis of one person and their opinion. Whether they're family or not, and whether or not your family are toxic overall should be inconsequential.

\
    yeah, someone else pointed out there negative about anything these days.

You do this for YOU, not for them or anyone else. Aye, they're entitled to their opinions just as you're entitled to disagree, but as you already know accepting criticism, whether it's constructive or otherwise, is a massive part of the game.

I said this to someone else recently on here, but one of the main reasons why I got so good at singing when I was younger was because someone told me I sucked.

ive been told to forget singing at a couple periods in my life. so this negative runs
    very deep.

They said I spoke rather than sang, so I took that as a challenge and ended up developing a really good, powerful voice.

Im actually like some on my tone,

I don't mean to sound arrogant in saying that, but I worked really, really hard on my voice for three or four years until I was at a level far beyond my peers. It was a negative comment from a close friend that set me off on the road to where I've ended up now. If he hadn't said that, I'd probably have dwelt in mediocrity and never pushed myself further, so use the criticism as fuel for the fire. Let your passion for singing burn inside you and use negativity, almost alchemically, to transmute that into something positive.

I notice you mention why you don't offer advice on here. I think you, me and Tony (videoace) share in that problem.

We all seem to end up sounding colder or more aggressive than we actually mean to, even condescending or arrogant, just due to the way we communicate. L

yeah

look at my posts, for example; they're walls of text 'cause I end up trying my best NOT To come off as a complete prick but it still happens anyway! Hahaha!

Stick with it, and if you give up you'll have an angry, bearded Scotsman hunting you down like a drunken Liam Neeson while singing Soundgarden songs.

ha , thanks for the encouragement. Its really a help. And Im going to keep going with ti.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Posts: 1,131Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO
    There you go!
    You like some of your vocal tone, that is more than some!
    I like a fair amount of mine, but there are areas that make me cringe, but I know in time they will get better, especially if I focus on the trouble areas.

Learning to sing is very analog, there are no shortcuts. Its kind of like bodybuilding in some respects... if you follow a proper training regimen, you'll accelerate your results within the confines of what your momma gave you.

I have more than a few peers that sing far better than I, and same with guitarists that can smoke me on the fretboard... but you know what? They are all very cool with my progress and complimentary!

When people crap on you about this or that, remember they are commenting on what they hate about themselves, not actually about you... so let it roll off you like water off a duck's back.

Now let's get quacking!
  • videoacevideoace Posts: 1,361Pro, 2.0 PRO
    I can relate @Furious_Phil I am a good guitarist, but there are small children out there that can shred better than me, and I think just about everybody here sings better than me, but it doesn't bother me because I do my own thing, and it works for me, and there will always be somebody better.

Just have to be yourself in music just as in life.

Peace
    edited April 19
    @videoace Reminds me of when I was at my peak as a guitarist, and I was downtown New York about to buy this crazy guitar called an Infinity (Looked like an Explorer, only from the future)... I wailed my best Van Halen and Randy Rhoads on it etc, and was just about to buy it when I heard this perfect rendition of what I had just played...
    I followed my ears and found this 13 year old punk doing it.
    We talked for a while, the he asked me how long I had been playing. I said since I was 11. His nose wrinkled up, and he flatly said "Why do you bother then??"
    >:)
    #MurderIsFineifThereisNoBody
    LOL. That little punk.
    I play some guitar. Not too bad. I actually wanted to be a guitar player before I started singing.
    Haha :-)

-Diego
  • videoacevideoace Posts: 1,361Pro, 2.0 PRO
    They both get the girls Diego ha ha.

Peace
    Definitely Tony, haha!
    :-)

• TommyMTommyM Posts: 270Pro
    *picks up guitar and fumbles with a 12 bar vamp*

*puts guitar down and goes back to making noises with my mouth*
    edited July 19
    hey guys thanks for support,

edited April 20
    Its just a turn of a phrase, personally when I reference "shredding", I don't mean Malmsteen/Vinnie Moore etc, I actually mean "Virtuoso-Level playing".
    I think an endless flurry of 16th-32nd notes without some melodic substance gets tiresome fast. Its cool for embellishments, but not the whole thing
    edited April 20
  • endrits079endrits079 Posts: 13Member
    I wonder if you are still training your singing , my family all of them made fun of me specialy my brother but me I realised that in 1 year of training my voice changed a lot til recently I had some recording when I had started with singing lessons but I deleted them because when I listened them now I realised how bad I was just uh gosh and I know after 1 year when I listen to todays records I will laugh at myself and say what the hell you were such a trash , but training will improve always more and more so dont give up until you get what you want