Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Not much of an Eagles fan, but ...

I'd forgotten about this, off "Hotel California".

Still a work in progress, but see what you think

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JYSB2YzhXecVIX0jKzhjvcs_YywrFcYn/view

Answers

• TommyMTommyM Pro Posts: 270
    Hiya Doug,

It sounds like you're stuck in your chest voice and can't bring the sound up any higher, which gives you a kinda Dylan-like quality. That's also preventing you from really letting your notes ring out as the spaces involved sound like they're being blocked off. Don't get me wrong, I know this could be down to medical issues like sinus problems or something, so I'm not criticising you; just noting what I can hear so far.

Even if you were to stay in that range, you could do with a lot more support and attention to your breath to ensure you're using your air effectively. The only reason you seem to struggle on some of the higher notes is that you're not supporting it properly and then pushing with insufficient air. The fact you close down the sound up higher too means you're losing that 'ping' we talk about so much on here, which also means it's harder to hear your own pitch internally.

If you're not a full-blown KTVA student, go and watch Ken's free videos on YouTube and do the exercises he gives. Do them daily for at least an hour if you can and you'll notice a big difference in what you're able to do with what seems like very little physical effort while you sing.

It sounds like you could have a really nice voice there if you're willing to work at it!
  • Doug_LatimerDoug_Latimer Member Posts: 17

Thanks for the response, Tommy. I think you're pretty much spot on.

I do have relatively hefty sinus and reflux issues, which by evening, when I do my recording (bare boned, as is obvious), can leave my chords in sad shape.

But even then, I find that the constriction you hear is a good deal less pronounced when I'm not trying to create a decent recording, and I'd be interested in your thoughts on that subject.

Also, I'd appreciate your take on how well I conveyed the emotional aspect of the song, and if you're interested, I have a page with over a couple hundred files covering a wide variety of artists

https://solastcentury.wordpress.com

I'm not truly satisfied with any of them, but I felt they were "close enough for rock and roll", and the site allows folks off craigslist who might share the same musical sensibilities to hear me, in hopes that some collaboration may result.

I've had numerous nibbles, and met with a few persons, but over a couple of years, nothing's come to fruition, which is frustrating, to put it mildly.

But I love to sing, I've gotten some props in public, so I press on.
  • TommyMTommyM Pro Posts: 270
    No problem, mate! Glad to help if I can.

But even then, I find that the constriction you hear is a good deal less pronounced when I'm not trying to create a decent recording, and I'd be interested in your thoughts on that subject.

That, to me, sounds like it's probably down to tension related to performance combined with being overly self-aware with regards to your sinus and reflux issues. Obviously I have no clue from a medical perspective, but vocally I suspect much of your problem there could be solved by simply learning to relax when you sing. That tension is probably also preventing you from getting into those higher, thinner spaces when you pare down the voice and take some of the weight out. It seems like a really obvious thing, but relaxing when you're singing makes a world of a difference. When I go to record something, it always takes me a while to really let go and feel comfortable with it, otherwise I get tense across my shoulders and neck which then interferes with the singing. Sometimes it's easier to step up and do karaoke, where you've got one chance to do your thing, than it is to do your own home recording where you've got infinite opportunities. Try to bring that same relaxation and comfort that you feel when you're singing in everyday life or wherever to your recordings too. THAT is your voice.

Also, I'd appreciate your take on how well I conveyed the emotional aspect of the song, and if you're interested, I have a page with over a couple hundred files covering a wide variety of artists

I'll definitely check out your other stuff, thanks for the link! Emotion-wise, in all honesty I didn't actually think too much about it but on second listen I realize that this is actually a good thing. You sound sincere. It doesn't sound like you're just going through the motions. You bring your own feelings to it in an understated way, but not being as familiar with the song I can't say for certain whether you're conveying the emotional message of the song. You certainly don't sound unemotional or as if you're just over-acting the emotion; as I said, there's a sincerity to your voice that does come across.

I'm not truly satisfied with any of them, but I felt they were "close enough for rock and roll", and the site allows folks off craigslist who might share the same musical sensibilities to hear me, in hopes that some collaboration may result.

Damn right! I don't know one single person who is ever truly satisfied with their own recordings. Even top producers will hear things they wished they'd changed long after the final master is done, so try not to be too much of a perfectionist. It's taken me a long time to learn to be a bit more forgiving on myself and accepting that I'm far from an expert, so learn to work within your limitations and then work at pushing them a little further.

I've had numerous nibbles, and met with a few persons, but over a couple of years, nothing's come to fruition, which is frustrating, to put it mildly.

I think there's room for lots of collaborative stuff on here, so don't be shy about putting yourself out there and seeing who's up for working with you. You could get some really interesting collaborations happening!

Best of luck!
  • Doug_LatimerDoug_Latimer Member Posts: 17

The perplexing thing is that when I'm just singing to be singing, I seem to be doing so in a higher register. When I try to record, or perform, I feel I'm going down into my chest voice, and I don't understand why that happens.

What mental processes are at work to deter me from the former?

As for collaborating, that's what I've done for a couple of years - put myself out there - with no luck.

Madison, WI is a town with a rich musical environment - lots of bands and venues. I got my public start with live band karaoke at the High Noon Saloon with the Gomers, a group of very talented musicians who've been around for around thirty years and know literally hundreds of songs (not all perfectly, mind you), and I've done open mics and straight karaoke, but the latter two just don't have the same vibe as being on stage and doing something that resonates with the audience.

Here's what I feel is one of my better turns there

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0keMxxSGW3GTVhBdzNiYlAtcUE/view

I put an ad on craigslist, and posted at a couple other places, thinking there had to be someone out there with similar sensibilities, but I feel like I've been pissing in the wind.

I don't mean to come across as "Woe is me", but it is immensely frustrating to feel as though I just can't get this damn thing in motion. I'd just like to get together with some folks who like what I like, work on the music, and see what comes from it.

Whose god did I piss off? -g-
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    The best thing is to just keep practicing, and looking for gigs. Do open mic nights, kareoke, etc, and if you got the chops, someone will approach you if they are interested in your style.

Always practice your craft. Everyday if you can.

Peace, Tony