Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

My attempt at a High C

Hello

This is my first attempt at hitting this hard note. Since i am a baritone it is even harder. How does it sound like?

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0qgDW4g8IEj

Comments

• DiegoDiego Posts: 383Member
    edited April 26
    Notice how you start ''Ahhhhhhhh" and all of a sudden when you hit the high C your voice doesn't sound open, and is kind of strainy, like it's coming out of your throat, kind of froggy. (I could be wrong, but it's what I hear).
    I recommend you keep working on the support, and really form an open, clean, powerful note without going too
    harsh.

All the best,

-Diego
  • Simpan27Simpan27 Posts: 184Member
    I tried to get a kinda opera sound
  • blondiewalesblondiewales Posts: 224Pro
    edited May 4
    Cool note dude. A good C5 can be pretty hard. What I'll say is that while your note could work in a rock context, it is not sung "correctly" in an operatic sense, in my opinion.

I'll add that it doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. It's just not what I know as operatic.
  • DiegoDiego Posts: 383Member
    Exactly, the if you look for the operatic sound, try to more open as well. Try to work on developing good support on the lower notes, then you can work on the C5.

All the best,

-Diego
  • Simpan27Simpan27 Posts: 184Member
    In choir when i was young they told me i was a baritone but i dont know. Did the C5 sound bad?
  • bentkbentk Posts: 962Pro, 2.0 PRO
    edited May 7
    To me it sounds like you are scooping the sound, kind of forcing the note. I'm thinking your throat does not feel so relaxed when doing a C5 like this? The sound is not very bright. Why don't you watch some videos from Ken on his youtube channel? just watch every single instructional video there is if you don't have the KTVA program. The program is much better, but those videos on youtube can help you out a lot.

I am not sure if i can go into further detail about all this here, as this is a member area of the forum, not a PRO area.

Don't think of yourself as a baritone, tenor, or whatever. A trained vocalist, whom might be considered a baritone by some, can still sing some insane stuff. Look at Ken himself, he's a 'baritone' too i guess. He's killing ACDC, Scorpions and all that stuff.

If you really want to improve, you need to follow Ken's advice and exercises. The youtube videos are a good starting point.

All the best,

Ben
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Posts: 1,171Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO
  • blondiewalesblondiewales Posts: 224Pro
    @Simpan27 I don't want to say it sounds bad, but it could almost certainly be better once you hone your technique further.