Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

singing TOO HARD?

Hey all,

as I posted, I recently had a breakthrough. I'm getting more resonance in my voice now.

However, am I pushing too hard? I notice I'm suddenly getting the dreaded " breaks" and yodels---- that
I never got before. { not constant, but a couple }

thanks

Comments

• Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Posts: 148Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO
    HI @iking could you post a link of an audio to hear whats going on? when you start the warm up should be subtle, and then get harder as you go, but make sure your support is working all the way, you could have a couple of yodels or breaks at the start, since you are regulating your air and getting in to the exercises, but at the end of the routine should be great
    Gaston
  • ikingiking Posts: 169Pro
    edited May 28
    Hi Gaston_Jauregui,

No, not talking about the warmups per say. I'm talking about my regular singing
    practice.

I warm up for 20 + - minutes. Then I go into singing. But since I notice
    my tone improving, I'm singing longer, and harder I think. Well into practice, is when that occurred.

I should add. I've never been able to do the chest stretching exercises. It's like
    no stretching happens.

I see myself as a { slowly growing} Bari.

For note, I normally lower keys on songs. However, even so, in Elton's Yellow Brick Road , I did hit an Ab 4 this week. { blue ohh ohhh, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, } { head voice}

thanks

• Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Posts: 148Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO
    edited May 28
    @iking since you are improving I Highly recommend you to do the whole warm up, why? because apart from warming up it is a training of the way your sound should be placed when you sing, and the more you do it, the more you get your singing used to do it all the time, plus you have to beat your old habits.

on the breaking during songs, you´ll find that when you sing EEs and UHs more or when you actually said one of those vowels and came back to a bigger one like Ah or EH, also hard consonants like P Q K T, so i would have to hear what exactly is goning on when you break, hope this helps, if you post an audio would be great!
  • ikingiking Posts: 169Pro
    sounds good. thank you much.