Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Bridging and mixed voice

bentkbentk Posts: 960Pro, 2.0 PRO
edited July 4 in VOLUME 5 - Mixed Voice
Hi there again!

As there isn't much going on in this new and fresh part of the forum, I would like to go into the principle of mixed voice here.
For me it is also the only 'new' thing for me, as being its own volume. I was used to having VOL 1-3 and the separate head voice workouts.

First: I watched some of the video and listened how Ken is doing these exercise. Am I correct that these are basically bridging exercises, but you go towards the timbral head voice sound? Because that is pretty much what I have been doing for a while.

Following that, i want to ask this: Is it ok to do all your bridging like this? I can do them at super low volume too (Ken tells you have to be able to do that in VOL5).

And lastly: Is it right that this is more tiring than the usual bridging from other volumes? They seem to tire more when i'm really going into head voice (timbral) in a scale, so about 2/3 of the way up.

Thanks guys,

Ben

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 13,705Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Mixed voice is like a bridge that spans several notes, instead of happening all at once.
    You don't want to use it all of the time, because sometimes it is weaker than stretched chest on high notes, and weaker on lower notes than chest.

Other times mix will be a bit much for something that actually calls for head voice.

So it's just another mode for your voice, another choice of textures. You may want to use it a lot. Other times you will want to lean into the sound more than you can in mix.

I don't know if it's more tiring. Depends on how you are using it. Because you are balancing what amounts to a big passaggio, there is a lot of tendency to feel "off-balance" if you haven't got the hang of it quite yet.
  • bentkbentk Posts: 960Pro, 2.0 PRO
    I kind of do this automatically on all my bridging exercise, maybe because i am getting more used to the head voice exercises? Do i still train my bridging well enough if this dominates the bridging exercises?

A bridge that spans several notes is a good way to describe it, that's exactly it. As if the transition is a bit 'blurred' so to speak.
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 13,705Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Just keep dipping your toes in each of the different ways we work the voice.

Stretching chest up, thinning the girth as we ascend, and modifying vowels.
    Bridging at your natural passaggio into light head voice.
    Building timbral head voice, and taking it down low, overlapping as much of chest voice as you can.
    Doing lots of sliders in addition to all of the above.
    Blending or choosing whatever balance of tones and textures we want to use in the midvoice.

If we keep all of these skills sharp and practiced, we are where we want to be. The whole thing will keep growing and becoming one long continuum of vocal sound. "One long note".