Home The Singer's Lobby

Struggling with tone and poor control, some critique would be awesome.

Hey guys, I bought myself a gorgeous uke a month back with the intention of performing at some point, (Musical cinema, stuff like that) however, listening back I've noticed my voice feels pretty toneless and thin... Especially when I sing with an instrument, which is really frustrating.

I don't have any delusions of being the next streisand, but I do want to try and make the best of what I have.

I am saving for the course, and doing exersizes but i'd love some critique and honest feedback from people I DON'T know to help guide me in the direction I need to go for a better voice.

VOCAL PROFILE

As far as I know, (Self taught) i'm in the mezzo range, and i'm completely at a loss as to what fach i'm in (Coloratura, lyric, dramatic.)

I do have lung issues with allergies and asthma, which has compromised my chest range and stamina.

G3 to E/F5 (I really need to work for the F5) I don't really have a style in mind at this point, I just want to improve my speaking and singing depth and tone.

I have a few taster recordings here against my uke, please feel free to drop some wisdom!

https://soundcloud.com/stephanie-dalton-793450389

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You sound fine, but you're singing in one style and that is an airy, almost head voice sound. If you want more tone and body to your voice, you can sing in chest voice and you can also reduce the proportion of air by adding more cord closure. That will bring in timbre to your voice that is not present in this airy configuration you are using. You'll also find that adding diaphragmatic support will increase tone and body to the sound of your singing voice.
  • Thank you! My chest voice is pretty raw at the moment, how I sing now is all that I can manage without flying out of control, but i'm following the instructions on youtube to see if I can't get some extra support and go from there. I'm close to being able to afford this course so fingers crossed. Thank you again for taking the time to respond, have a good day!