Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Old guy

Hi, I’m new to the forums. I’m not a student of Kens. I would love to be, but just can’t afford it at the moment. I’ve been singing for probably forty years or so, but not correctly. My wife and I have sung together since we met. We are now trying to supplement our income with busking. The thing is, I want to be able to not only sing better, but longer. If we ever get enough money I’d love to get the course, but until then, this is it.

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Hi @Bijoujuju, welcome.

Fortunately for me I was able to afford the course. That said, looking back there are some thoughts I have about this course and singing in general.

First, believe it or not buying the course is probably the easiest part of the course. I was very committed to my singing before I bought the course. This commitment has been thoroughly tested with this course. My view of singing has definitely shifted and I don't see it as I used to. What does that mean? Whelp, singing is a VERY physical endeavor. You need to have superior core strength to properly sing. This is part of diaphragmatic breathing. If you are older like I am then you will need to work on that aspect to be prepared to sing. You can build that core strength now free of charge and it will benefit you immensely when you start the course.

Second, Ken's youtube channel is full of information. Watch the videos, lay the groundwork of understanding for when you do purchase the course. There are terms, words and ideas that are going to be new to you and if you already understand them then the course will go faster because you won't have rewatch the same thing many times just to pick up an idea. This will allow you to focus on what Ken is saying about how to implement that idea, and allow for a clearer understanding of where he is going with it.

Third, you need to set up some sort of practice routine. Start now, don't wait. It doesn't matter if your routine is "right" or "wrong" what matters is that you get in a groove of practicing. Look for practices from Ken's videos. Figure out how long you can practice for. Figure out how long you can stay focused in one sitting, so that you can determine your practice interval length. Figure out how much time you can dedicate each week. What days work etc ... People don't realize how important this stuff is and how hard it is to work out. If you work this out now you will be more prepared for the real course. This will also test how committed you are to singing. Can you do this for a month, two months, six months? Can you do it without real progress, will you stay committed? When you get the course you will make progress I can assure that, but the real value comes over time and sometimes you plateau out like every other thing that you can learn and you need to stay with it until you can learn the thing that will allow you to move to the next level. Frustration is inevitable, learn to work through it.

There are plenty of things that you can do to prepare, start them now and as you do these things waiting to get the finances together to buy the course will seem altogether fast.

Good luck and I hope that this can help you :)
  • BijoujujuBijoujuju 2.0 PRO Posts: 10
    Thanks HuduVudu! I have to admit that part of the problem is my commitment. I can't sing a note and I get pissed and quit. I'm 68 and have sung since in high school but went through about fifteen years that I hardly sang a note. Now I would like to get back into it, but don't know if I can do it.
    @Bijoujuju You can! Just make sure your expectations are in line with your reality.

When I was younger I used to watch the Olympics diving. I liked Greg Luoganis. The commentary on strategy for divers was fascinating. Does the diver do a simpler dive that they know they can perform to perfection or do they try to pull off a harder dive that they may or may not be able to do. Only the best of the best could perform the harder dive perfectly and only they would try it. Singing is like that. Truth is most people want to hear a perfectly performed "simple" song as to a poorly performed "hard" song. I agree. Don't get lost in practicing, so that you lose sight of why you are doing it. Remember that practicing and learning are so you can perform better doing the songs that you want.

This girl is so lost with here awesome vocal ability she forgot why she is doing it. Truly no one likes this so ...

EMPHATICALLY YES, you can sing. You just need to step up to the plate and do it.
  • BijoujujuBijoujuju 2.0 PRO Posts: 10
    Been a while since I last posted. Getting closer to getting the course. I am assuming that the USB course will work just fine on my MacBook Air. It’s just the iPhone and iPad that the won’t wok with due to the lightening connector. Am I right?
    edited September 2019
    You can use your iCloud to move them over to your iPhone and iPad, or just leave them in the iCloud and access them from all of your devices from there.