Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Sore throat today, Gig tomorrow

Hey guys last night I sang at rehearsal and this morning my throat is a bit sore. I have a gig tomorrow night. My question is.....should i still do my daily vocal training today or rest my voice?

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu Posts: 4002.0 PRO
    Do a VERY light version of your warm up, say for an hour today. Then rest your voice until tomorrow, would be my suggestion.
  • bentkbentk Posts: 980Pro, 2.0 PRO
    I know this post will be too late for you, but i'm going to add some info anyway:

Ken talks about some products and nutrition which can help with a sore throat for instance. And generally help you staying in good condition. Look up the video on his youtube channel.

Most importantly, it's important to know why you have a sore throat. Do you get it regularly after singing, or the day after singing? That might be a sign of over-singing, or pushing too hard. over-singing generally means using too much volume, and you can do it at various amounts. From straight out shouting, to just slightly over-singing. Too much air going passed the vocal cords will dry them out. Support and air-management is crucial, and only using the amount of volume you need. I am not saying you are doing anything wrong with singing, and you might not be over-singing at all. But it is probably the most common cause of a sore throat, or going 'hoarse'.

If this was only a one-time thing, unrelated to singing, it could be anything. Talking too loudly can also cause this. However, it's important to pin-point the cause when you can.

Good singing to you,

Ben
  • rickhodge88rickhodge88 Posts: 10STREAMING PRO
    bentk said:

I know this post will be too late for you, but i'm going to add some info anyway:

Ken talks about some products and nutrition which can help with a sore throat for instance. And generally help you staying in good condition. Look up the video on his youtube channel.

Most importantly, it's important to know why you have a sore throat. Do you get it regularly after singing, or the day after singing? That might be a sign of over-singing, or pushing too hard. over-singing generally means using too much volume, and you can do it at various amounts. From straight out shouting, to just slightly over-singing. Too much air going passed the vocal cords will dry them out. Support and air-management is crucial, and only using the amount of volume you need. I am not saying you are doing anything wrong with singing, and you might not be over-singing at all. But it is probably the most common cause of a sore throat, or going 'hoarse'.

If this was only a one-time thing, unrelated to singing, it could be anything. Talking too loudly can also cause this. However, it's important to pin-point the cause when you can.

Good singing to you,

Ben

Thank you so much for that!