Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Options

Hello from Seattle, Washington, USA

I think I'm over my head here... I used to sing in church when I was a kid and with the stereo in college. Now I'm 63 years old and haven't sung in years and have ZERO range without flipping into falsetto (guess I should have gone with that other program, eh? <grin>). I tried doing the first scale after watching the videos and thought I was doing fine going up the scale until I was coming back down and my voice cracked TWO notes from the BOTTOM of the scale on TRACK 1! I guess you could call that an impressive display of delaying switching from head to chest voice or you could call it a complete basket case. I now know from watching the promotional material that my fun falsetto voice that I've used over the years has put me behind the 8-ball here. When I registered, Ken asked what inspires me to sing. I guess because I'm competitive and I want to learn how to sing better than anybody. Beyond that, it's a great release from the work-a-day world.

Steve

Comments

• Options
    SteveKSteveK Pro Posts: 556
    welcome steve. ive only been doing this about a month. im 43 and already noticed improvement. theres alot of info and people that care about your improvement. i havent posted any evals of my voice but im sure when i do ill get an honest and helpful opinion, stick with it youll see yourself grow like mad.
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

@sgjenks,

Hey, Steve, you are at the PERFECT age for you to start getting your voice to places you've always wanted it to be.  That's because there's no time like the present to give yourself a present and get started with singing like you've never done before!

I'm feeling young and chipper here, now that I have another new friend a few months older than me!  There are singers of all ages here.  It's all a matter of where you are now relative to where you want to go with your voice.  It's a journey that takes a while, but you get to enjoy the trip, step-by-step.  I'm just down the road from you a few hundred miles in Eugene, Oregon!  I was up there in your territory a couple of months ago on a routine covert mission. 

Take your time and practice all of the exercises. 

We'll help you out if you get stuck or have questions.

Post demos if you want feedback.

Bob

• Options
    sgjenkssgjenks Pro Posts: 6

Thank you both for your encouraging comments. I shall persist.

Steve

• Options
    TrineTrine Enrolled Posts: 269

Hi Steve!

It's GREAT to have you here! I love to hear that you are starting out now! Just sing, don't be afraid! Do the exercises and be patient. And use the forum to ask questions and post demos. You are very welcome!!

• Options

Hey Trine,

Thanks for the welcome. And I actually do have a question so please see the forum.

Steve

• Options
    TrineTrine Enrolled Posts: 269

What question was that? I can't find it.

• Options

Hi Trine,

I had trouble finding it myself when you asked, but here is the link. Bob answered it. http://kentamplinvocalacademy.vanillaforums.com/discussion/2993/how-do-i-handle-practicing-scales-with-a-voice-lower-than-baritone-but-not-quite-bass-either#latest

I think I'm actually making progress. In spite of Ken's admonitions, about the only time I get to practice is while driving, so I put the MP3s on my smart phone, which will play over the stereo in my car.

Thanks for asking.

Best,

Steve