Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Matt Hancock from Louisiana - Hey Everyone!

As the title says, I'm Matt Hancock from Monroe, LA (originally from New Orleans). I plan to purchase KTVA on DVD as soon as the funds become available and I'm really looking forward to it! in the meantime, I'm also looking forward to getting to know some of you and learn from your experiences. I'm 35 and I've been a musician for over 20 years (acoustic and electric guitar, piano, keyboard synths, and vocals) and while I'm happy with my achievements as an insrumentalist, I REALLY want to find out what my vocal potential is. Have never done ANY vocal training whatsoever so I haven't learned anything about technique (hence the reason for me being interested in KTVA!). I'm putting the final touches on an album now, but for my next one, I want my voice to be the best it can be. Will probably post some soundcloud links in the demo section later on, but for now just wanted to drop in and introduce myself to the community! Best wishes to all!

Hancock

Comments

• MattHancockMattHancock Pro Posts: 16
    Also - forgot to mention what styles I'm into...mainly contemporary Christian/worship music but I cut my teeth as a guitarist playing in metal bands. I would really love to be able to progress to a style similar to Chris Cornell in terms of vocals because he has such a wide range of what he can do and the grit and rasp he has just blows me away. That's what I am wanting to build up to
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@MattHancock,

Thanks for introducing yourself!  It will be good to get to know you. 

Just a word from someone who drooled over the KTVA lessons for a long time before I purchased, the one thing I could kick myself for was waiting.  I probably lost a good 9 months waiting until I could "afford" to buy Ken's program.  By the time I finally ordered, I was no better off financially, 9 months older, and I'm still 9 months behind where I would be right now if I hadn't waited to get richer!!! We all have to make those decisions, but I'm just sayin'.... 

I studied a lot, and "got ready" for when I would finally get my KTVA package.  All I got for waiting was a long, long wait...  ha, ha! 

I've said this before, buying Ken's program was probably the nicest thing I've ever done for me.  Waiting for it was probably the most needless thing I've ever done to me. 

You're really going to like what starts happening to your voice once you start working out on the KTVA program. 

Nice to meet you, looking forward to hearing you.

Bob

Thanks for the kind welcome Bob! I really appreciate it. I'm trying to discipline myself to save the money to buy the program rather than using credit. Haven't always done that in the past and the only "me" purchase I've made recently was an Ibanez JEM guitar (Steve Vai's signature guitar) and I'll be paying on that one for awhile. So while I wish I didn't have to wait...I have to wait :)

Having said that, I've looked at virtually ALL of the other singing programs out there and KTVA seems, to me, to be THE best hands down. I like Ken's style alot and I'm excited about beginning. It's something I'm going to take very seriously because, honestly, I'd like to get good enough to do it professionally if the Lord ever opened up that kind of opportunity for me.

Thanks again for the welcome!

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

I understand and agree with your decision, Matt.  At least you can savor the anticipation.  I have to tell you that you will be ecstatic when you finally begin your journey!

I just had to share that "I could kick myself" part of my story, because it's truly the way I felt.  Likewise, the feeling of at last getting something for myself that really made a significant difference to my musical life.  I deny myself all kinds of things, but this was important, and I've never regretted getting started with KTVA.

We look forward to sharing your journey with you!

Bob 

• TrineTrine Enrolled Posts: 269

Nice to hear from you, Matt! I really hope everything will fall in place fast, so you can start as soon as possible. You'll love it!

Well, thankfully, I've been able to order Volume 1 now! I think it should arrive in the mail by Monday or Tuesday and I AM SO JACKED!!! Cannot wait to get started!

Yea!!!

Awesome, Dude!!!

Alright - so I watched all of Volume 1 in one sitting last night, and from someone who used to be a teacher and coach, I have to say that Ken's approach to teaching is fantastic! It's one thing to be able to tell someone how to do something and even more to show them, BUT to teach someone else to do it...that's a skill all to itself. I have the MP3s in my car so I can listen and sing along (not using that to replace my practice though). I'll do my first full practice session tonight.

The Lip Roll might take some getting used to...does it require alot of breath or force to cause the lips to burble?

@MattHancock,

What is more important about the lip roll is to learn to really relax the facial muscles so that the lips are free to do the bubbling effect.  If you can do this loosely enough, it takes less air pressure to make the bubbling happen.  That is much better than increasing pressure to cause the burbling.

The idea is to relax the face, and relax the chest, neck, and throat.  In the process of all of that you should also relax the voice, and finally, relax through the passagio.

Bob

https://soundcloud.com/#matthancock/faraway-stables

Bob - tried to post this in the Vocal Demonstrations Forum but it said I didn't have permission to do so. Anyway, you've been so helpful and encouraging so I wanted to post this here so you could hear it. Comments much appreciate. A little backstory below.

I'm still using/training with Volume 1 but I puchased 3. I have to say that I'm singning better now than ever in my life and with so much more confidence. The track above was recorded about 8 weeks ago (2 weeks after I got KTVA). a little backstory, I had written lyrics and music for this song but when I went to record it, none of it was working...so I had to figure out a way to finish it because it's the title track of my album. Then I just tried something I had never done before, I went to the piano with nothing but a title and tried to see what would happen. Long story short, God gave me all the words and all the music and melodies right there in the moment. The only thing I added later was background vocals/harmonies. It was amazing to see it unfold like that. A small miracle. I would never have been able to sing this without the help of KTVA - heck I wouldn't have even attempted it.

Side note - this week, I tried to sing along with Michael English on his remake of the song In Christ Alone and to my utter astonishment...I was able to (at least one time) sing with the cd and matched him note for note. Laughed out loud and freaking almost cried! Well, thanks for checking this out. The album FARAWAY STABLES is a free download at www.noisetrade.com/bartimaeus

@MattHancock,

That's a cool song, Matt.

Very good for just getting started with KTVA.  I would encourage you to brighten your sound some more, and always support your voice.

Also, if you will send an email to ktvahelp@gmail.com and copy and paste into the email a copy of your receipt(s) from your KTVA purchases, you can be upgraded here on the KTVA Forums commensurate with the level of purchases you have made.  If you have purchased all three volumes, you most likely can be upgraded to PRO.  (That would also qualify you for the ProPack bonuses, which you may have gotten).  Ask to be upgraded on the KTVA forums.  That will give you a huge amount of information and videos that your "member" status cannot access. 

Looking forward to hearing your progress and development.

Good Singing to You!

Bob

thanks Bob! I'll follow the advice. Also worth pointing out that the song was recorded with an iPad through GarageBand. There was no microphone and actually no mixing as GB doesn't have any EQ controls. Thanks again!