Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Ready to sing better than anyone else!

Hey all,

Well I finally took the plunge on KTVA after looking around for awhile, it just seemed like Ken knew how to help me grow my voice the way I wanted it to grow rather than other people.  It's going good so far, I have a question though.

I'm working on building my chest range, and I'm doing the vowel modifications as prescribed in the video.  But as I get higher my voice breaks into head voice rather than staying in chest.  Is that ok for now?  I feel like my chest register has increased but I would like to have notes higher than G# in my chest register.  Just keep on working on it and it will come?  Am I doing something wrong?  Just so we're clear I'm supporting good and it still does this.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Hello, @shadvegas!

Nice to meet you!

Yes, it's OK to cross over into head voice.  In fact it's desirable.

In the beginning you need to work on smoothly bridging into head voice, and you can do that where it naturally occurs.

Alternately, you also need to work on trying to bridge at a higher point in the scales.

Both of these are separate goals, and you want to do each one.  Work for a while on bridging smoothly.  Then work diligently on trying to extend your chest voice higher.  Stretching chest can be a process that will take months or years, depending on your abilities and your determination to keep going with it.

It takes time, so give it time.

Keep supporting, also, as you said you are.  It will all come in the course of time.

Bob

• shadvegasshadvegas Pro Posts: 8
    OK thanks,
    So I should first work on my bridge only rather than lightly warming up and bridging smoothly through volume 1 then going through it again stretching chest?

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Yes, or the other way around is fine, too.  You just want to be sure to grow in both of these directions as you progress.  Don't just do the one and not the other.  Both stretching chest and smooth bridging are important skills to start building from the beginning.

Bob