Home About Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy

holding breath

louisjameslouisjames Enrolled Posts: 125
if im not using distortion yet, glottal compression, am i right in thinking i dont need to 'hold breath' as much, ? i mean im not entirley sure im really holding it much at all when i sing, yet i feel i have improved. As ive mentioned in other posts, i have performed 3-4 days in a row, when before that would have been very hard. I just want to get it perfect, but i also feel confused. i feel ready to move onto volume 2, but im beating myself up alot by over thinking everything.

Comments

• ragnarragnar Pro Posts: 410
    You probably are holding your breath at least close to how you should. There's no way you could get through 4 days of straight singing otherwise. The opposite would be to leak a lot of air while holding a note/singing a phrase, which would leave you dried out very quickly. If you can do a quick test and just try holding some note, like a C4, on the open Ah vowel. If you can do that for like 15 seconds, then you probably are on the right path. That's a near completely arbitrary number btw, based on me just now trying to purposefully not hold my breath while doing it and I lost the note after 5 seconds or so.

If you want some feedback in regards to moving onto volume 2, just upload a snippet of you singing either a song or an Ah scale - or even better, both.
  • louisjameslouisjames Enrolled Posts: 125
    ahh ok great, just tried and i can go quite alot over 15 seconds with that. ok i can send a video or an mp3 il put a link on here of a few of my songs. Thanks for the help! i have been told im ready for vol 2 but wanted more than one opinion! 
    second one starts more breathy purposely. also i have songs where i sing in full voice alot higher to. but i cant seem to get them up on here
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@louisjames,

If you are supporting more now than you did in the past, that will contribute a lot to your voice remaining in good shape.

You may still need to hold back the breath even more to achieve compression and glottal compression.

Your tracks sound good.  I like the sound and your voice is cool.

Bob

ok great, so basically, just keep working on the program! specifically cutting the air and opening the throat right? do you think i sound ready for volume 2 ?
    and thanks! glad you like the tracks! alot is happening for my band next year, exciting times! hence why i want to nail my technique ! going to be gigging non stop next year!
    edited November 2013
    @louisjames

Great stuff man, you are fantastic singer and more than ready for volume 2 as well as 3 to be honest. Maybe not jump straight into the vol.3 scales but might as well get all the info Ken has to offer in the videos, since you already have all the basics easily under control.
    And yeah like Bob said, tight tracks. Especially the second one has a real intensity to it. The C#5 in the climax at the end is epic. I checked out your band's Facebook, seems like you guys are going places!

Make sure to give a shout out if you ever do a gig in Copenhagen haha, I would definitely show up with my mates.
    Thanks dude! very kind words, ok great well i think il be purchasing it in the next week or so then! ahh thanks man glad you liked it! these were recorded prior to actually working with KTVA, well id done a week haha, voice has grown since then, a few tracks im belting E5 still working on strengthening it though! ahh thats great please give us a like, and a share if possible! we are going down really well over the pond, with hopeful american tours! another thing you guys may be interested in! my father Nicky james, was the original lead singer of the moody blues, also john bonhams first band was my dads! google nicky james, alot of interesting info on there. He was a fantastic singer! Peace!
    Awesome! Looked up your dad on Wiki and he certainly looks to have had a great career. Having played with Bonham is some crazy stuff! Must have been an inspiring environment to grow up in.
    By the way, this is a bit random, but where do you get your clothes? I'm a huge 60s/70s fan myself but it's damn near impossible to get the blues-rock style going here in Denmark. Everyone is obsessed with either electro-pop or at best indie-rock. That is then reflected in the stores, even the second-hand ones a lot of the time.
    yea man he was quite something! was an amazing  environment, to it for granted as a kid though! ahh well a mix of places, charity shops in the uk are a hit and miss to but im always in them. scarfs and things like that, shirts sometimes and jackets. i wear girls jeans embarrassingly as they look better and are skinnier, which i prefer! t shirts primark h&m places like that! just a matter of searching really !  
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Waycool history, Louis.

I say get started on Volume Two, but really, I think you should upgrade to the ProPack so you will get Volume Three AND Building Head Voice, plus all the other videos and information that is included. 

If you wait to purchase Volume Three later, be sure to request an upgrade to PRO at that time.  I can't say for sure that the upgrades will still be available then, but maybe so.

I think anyone who has the ProPack would agree, there is SO much more information included than in "just" the three volumes.  It's kinda crazy to not get the full package.  Still, you are wise to be taking your time to get the full benefits of each Volume.

All the Best to You, Louis!

Bob

johnjohn said:
    Very cool, heartfelt and soulful music, Louis.  Love your voice.  Thanks for sharing.  :-)

I wish you all the best with everything,

John

john john i accidentally deleted your comment i dont know how ! so sorry, but thanks for the kind words man!

great thanks Bob, i would love to get the pro pack but i wouldnt be able to afford it. thats why i am getting the volume 2 to start, and also not to tempt myself to move on to fast! cant wait to get started ! thanks all for your comments!!!! 
    Bob you mentioned propack? whats the pro pack? and does it contain vol 1 ? as i already have that. cheers man!
    edited November 2013
    yea man he was quite something! was an amazing  environment, to it for granted as a kid though! ahh well a mix of places, charity shops in the uk are a hit and miss to but im always in them. scarfs and things like that, shirts sometimes and jackets. i wear girls jeans embarrassingly as they look better and are skinnier, which i prefer! t shirts primark h&m places like that! just a matter of searching really !  
    Ok I probably need to be a bit more thorough in my thrift shop search in particular. That's funny about the girls jeans because I was really considering that as well not too long ago, but was always worried about the crotch situation. Fortunately h&m came out with a line of skinnies recently that suit me well.

As for your propack question. It's basically a bundle of all the material Ken has done. Most notably the 1-3 volumes and an extra video series+workouts devoted to head voice. Some various extra tidbits as well I think, but the head voice workout is main thing.
    They are usually very reasonable so I would think that if you decide to get it, you can contact Ken/Lynette about getting the volume1 expense refunded when you pay for the propack.
    edited November 2013

Like ragnar said, the ProPack includes All Three KTVA Volumes PLUS Building Head Voice PLUS a Kazillion other video bonuses. What Ken was doing when he brought out the ProPack was letting students who already had one or two KTVA Volumes purchase the volumes they didn't already have and Upgrade to ProPack at no cost. 

In other words, if you already had Volume One, you could purchase Volumes Two and Three and request to be upgraded to the ProPack.  Anyone who had previously bought all three volumes was given the ProPack upgrade for free.  You just had to email a request along with your purchase receipts from KTVA.

This offer may have expired, or if it hasn't, it may not last forever.  It's the kind of offer you shouldn't refuse.

Bob

great guys thanks very much! very helpful! i will save asap! as it seems the right choice! cant wait to crack on and really get the ball rolling, on tour from early next year so guna need to put in the work! as far as the skinny jeans, yea the crotch thing can be an issue haha ! 
    no problem man! yea i was trying to reply and like your comment, but ended up deleting it! stil trying to get to grips with the page :D
    ha yea man, id definitely like to think im better at singing to! 

Tweet!  Tweet!! 

I tot I taw a puddy tat!

gutted, i havnt been able to do much practice lately as ive been so busy ! worried im guna lose what ive gained. Saying that i still remember everything i need to do so i guess its just stamina that will diminish a bit. Anyway i cant wait for christmas, volume two will be mine !