Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Throat Sprays, etc

marshallBluesmarshallBlues Pro Posts: 34
This is probably a naive question and may have been discussed before in this forum but I can't seem to find it. Ken covers some of it in his health video but not all of it. I just watched a doc on Journey and the new singer Arnel from the Philippines.   I think he was discussed in the forum but I can't seem to find it now. Anyway there was a shot of throat sprays, lozenges, nasal sprays, etc. in his dressing room.  In another clip he was alway spraying something in his throat. The guy can sing. I was wondering what your thoughts are on these types of products and if you found any in particular are helpful in getting you through a 4 - 6 nighter and then doing it all over again the following week, etc. ...  Curious.  

Comments

• marshallBluesmarshallBlues Pro Posts: 34
    Also do they do more damage than good... 
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited January 2014

@marshallBlues,

A lot of singers use portable steam masks or inhalers. 

Colloidial Silver can be purchased that comes in a nasal spray form.

Tea Tree Oil can be heated in water to form steam and inhaled.

I presume the vocal wellness video you are speaking of is the one located here:

http://vimeopro.com/kentamplin/volume-1

The Password is KTVAone8910

For the most part, getting your voice into proper shape via workouts, exercises, and being properly warmed-up is optimal for day-in, day-out vocal health. 

Many lozenges, sprays, and rinses are actually counterproductive and may coat the cords. Then you're trying to clear the coating off your cords.

Arnel is doing some very challenging vocals in arena situations, several days per week.  It is understandable that he would want every possible bit of insurance laid out on a table "just in case".   Those sprays will do you no good if you aren't using proper technique in the first place.

Many a wonderful singing voice has been ruined by improper technique. 

The blowout prevention provided by properly implementing the cutting back of the air as taught in KTVA Volume Three is probably the most important insurance you could provide yourself.  Regulation of the air pressure to avoid drying out the vocal cords can keep your vocal cords resilient.  You should not find yourself going hoarse unless you are using too much air.

Good cord closure also is key to reducing the amount of air you have going across your cords. 

Public Enemy Number One is too much air in the vocal world...

Ken has been putting in several hours of singing practically every day of his life for the past 30 years.  He has stated many times that he puts in an hour or more of warmup time in, in addition to his live singing activities, every day, without fail.  By the time he has finished his warmup, most issues related to illnesses, previous night's show, bad weather effects, and other setbacks... all are diminished by the fact that he keeps himself in top vocal shape through the workouts and works through problems during his morning warmups.  Even through sinus infections and post-nasal drip situations, he has not gone hoarse.

He has felt effects from illness, but not to the point of being noticeably compromised. He has made studio recordings and videos when ill, and for the most part, no one has ever noticed at all.

The pain-reducing sprays for sore throats are said to be dangerous, due to the numbing effects, and the coatings they leave on the cords.  You may damage your cords without knowing it, due to the lack of feeling induced.

Bob

@highmtn   Awesome... Thanks Bob. I appreciate you responding so quickly. Yes that is Ken's video I was referring to. I have watched it, as well as the others, a few times. There is lots of information there for sure. I'm still working Volume 1 so I have a long way to go however I think I am hearing progress in my voice during my warmups and during my performances. I am trying to concentrate on proper technique during my performances/rehearsals and try to be very conscious of whether I a reverting to my old bad habits. In short, I am finding the course very helpful. I also appreciate all the support I get from you and the other members of the forum. this is a very cool place to get honest feedback...  Thanks again and have a great weekend... Marshall... 
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Aw, Gosh, guys... You're gonna make me blush!

It's an honor and a pleasure to be of help to you all.  We all share the same desire to improve our singing voices and release the singer inside to soar like an eagle! 

The moderators here and contributing students are happy to lend a helping hand to those who are going along a path we may have already navigated.  There is a lot of experience here and a lot of giving.

We sprinkle on a little KTVA Magic Singing Dust, and poof!  Discoveries and Breakthroughs Abound!

Glad to be here.

Bob 

• Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446
    Hey guys, I would like to contribute to this conversation. Elixirs or throat sprays are absolutely not the way to go and here's why- interestingly enough labels like throat coat are exactly that the coat your throat. It begs the question, what do they coat your throat with? Well they coated with numbing agents sugar in the forms of things like glycerin etc. and actually create mucus on the cord which becomes an agent for bad cord closure. Then what we do? We hack up all of that mucus to get rid of it and scrape it off the cord which l leaves the cord raw and in a worse condition than when we started. Honestly guys, the very best thing we can do for accords is to strength train them correctly use our error management correctly and drink pure filtered room temperature water when we sing. It may sound simple but I promise you it is the way!
    Thanks for the input Ken. I appreciate it... Bob had written that a lot of singers use portable steam masks or inhalers. I heard these help with adding moisture to the cords... Is this true and will it have benefits or do more harm ...  To me it seems like taking a super hot shower and inhaling the steam but more concentrated. Is this something worth looking into to assist us in our progress.  Curious....    Again I appreciate the forum and all the positive support and knowledgable feedback. 

P.S. I'v been drinking between 1 - 2 litres of filtered water/day since starting the course.  
    P.P.S...... sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I am doing the proper things the KTVA way as I progress through the course. 

@marshallBlues,

Regarding the portable steam units, I had a conversation not too long ago with Ken regarding needing to keep my vocal cords clear, and he definitely recommended long, hot showers, as long and hot as you can safely deal with, any time you are needing to clear mucus or reduce swelling.  Inhaling the steam vapors helps to clear your sinuses and your vocal cords. 

The small portable steam units are taken on the road by some vocalists because they are convenient and easy to pack up and take along on the trip.

This helps to clear the nose, throat, sinuses, and vocal cords, without putting any artificial coatings on them.

Bob

@highmtn...  cool... Thanks Bob... I think I'll look into purchasing a portable steam unit.  I appreciate the help...  Stay well...   :) 
    @cgreen...  thx ... Gonna look into investing in one for sure... Gotta start looking at doing some cardio as well  ... I truly appreciate all the advice from the members of the forum... stay well my friend   :)