Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Rapid fire vocals

Hello and happy new year to everyone.
I am new to this forum, I bought myself the course for Christmas.

I started the excercises on Volume one, my question is:
I find difficult to apply the "open throat technique" on fast tempo songs that have a lot of words to sing.

Thanks for your pieces of advice.
Cheers

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Hello @Joyce!

What a wonderful gift you have given yourself!  You will thank yourself many times over, just as I did!

If you have the full course, you will come upon the parts where Ken explains about consonants and maintaining Open Throat.

Your goal will be to do everything possible to minimize consonants and sustain open vowels. 

You will glide past consonants and keep that throat open.  The goal is to keep the vocal tract from closing down.

Bob

• JoyceJoyce Pro Posts: 131
    Thank you for your reply Bob.

I suppose the secret is: exercise and exercise.
    Yes that's correct, Ken explains about the consonants and keeping open throat. I will try to apply
    this when I sing in French, but I have a feeling that it might be more difficult.

Have a nice day.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@Joyce,

If some of the exercises are too fast for you to do well, stop the CD and work on them at a more comfortable speed.  Get comfortable with the exercise and slowly increase the speed until you are more comfortable at full speed.  Do the same with songs.  Stop and work on it in slow-motion if you need to, and gradually bring it up to rapid-fire speed. 

Take note of the lessons on consonants, as well.  Consonants can be stumbling blocks. They close down the vocal tract.

All sustained notes take place on vowels.  Minimize time you spend on consonants, and maximize the time you spend on vowels.

Bob

• JoyceJoyce Pro Posts: 131
    Yes that's true Bob, consonants are big obstacles, especially the "M" and it gives me back  a sound that I don't like at all.

I take this opportunity to say that Ken' course (and this forum) is really good as it provides clear answers to the many questions that we singers ask ourselves while learning this great art.

Thank you very much for your advice.